PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Changing hair color from blonde to brunette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

artist.anon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Changing hair color from blonde to brunette Reply with quote

I am trying to change a model's hair color in a photo from blonde to dark brunette (need one dark brown, and one black hair).

I can change the hair color to every other color and lighten and darken it using hue/saturation, burn & sponge tool, brush with overlays, but cannot seem to successfully get a realistic brunette. At the moment all I get is a black/white effect or a deep red.

Either I am not getting the combination and settings of these effects correct or I am not using the proper photoshop tools. I can't imagine that this should be difficult.

Prhaps the photo is not best suited to this??

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

higgsboson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't tried this already, then make a new Curves Adjustment layer, and lower the RGB curve as much as you need, then change the Red and/or Blue curves to suit your needs as well. Once you get the right effect, mask the layer so it only affects the hair. I think the main difference between blonde and brown is that brown is simply darker. Normally it should be enough to just lower the RGB curve...

If that doesn't work, use a Hue/Saturation layer and check "Colorize". Then you can change the Hue slider to get any color you want, and you can strengthen or weaken that color with Saturation. But don't use the Lightness slider!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: