PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Action to mirror all sides of image
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

renee17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Action to mirror all sides of image Reply with quote

I get my photos printed onto canvas gallery wraps. If I don't want to lose any of my image to the wrap, I usually mirror all four sides of the image. As an example, let's say I need an additional 2 inches on each side. I crop my image, then go to Canvas Size and increase the canvas size by 4 inches on each dimension (ex: a 16x20 is now 20x24, with a 2 inch white border all around the image). Then I take my rectangular marquee tool and create a selection of the first side (let's say the left edge for example) of the white border (ex: my marquee is now a 2 inch wide rectangle, 24 inches high). I move that marquee over the left edge of my image, say "copy as new layer," flip that layer horizontally so that now it is a mirrored version of the original image, and then move it over the white border that was created when I increased the canvas size. I repeat these steps for the other 3 sides. What I cannot figure out how to do is to create an action for this since the marquee selection is manually drawn and the size of that marquee varies with each image. Does anyone know how to create such an action? Thanks in advance for your help!

Htown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure this will work with a little finessing. Go with the number that you know will be constant no matter what the size of the image is and that is 2 inches. So here is what I propose you try.

1. Make the Background layer a normal layer

2. enlarge the canvas by 2 inches all around

3. Create a new layer below the image and fill with white or not (whatever you want but the original size must be on its own layer)

4. then do a select all on the layer your image is on, not the new layer
then do a transform selection

5. enter the setting you see attached image. (Dont forget to change the reference point. By default, it is the center. Make sure it is left center by clicking on it)

6. Press enter to accept these settings

7. Copy selection to new layer

8. Select that later move it to the left 2 inches again by using the fields in the toolbar for the move tool.

Do this for each of the sides and record it and you have an action to automate this.

I have created the action but this system will no let me attach it so I will have to email it to you or PM it to you if this system will let me. i am not sure.

UPDATE: There are a few tricks you have to do to get the right and bottom to work correctly but I have it working in a script but I can not attach it here. I sent you an PM with more details.

JOHN E SCHMIDT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Mirror Action Reply with quote

HTown,

Can you please share with me the macro?

Regards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: