PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Action to Sharpen some layers but not others
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Ecnassianer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Action to Sharpen some layers but not others Reply with quote

I have a PSD with multi-layer art and multi-layer borders above that art. All the border layers are in a group called Borders.

I need to create an action that runs a sharpen filter on the art layers, but NOT the borders.

To run the Sharpen filter, I need to flatten the art layers. They all have different names in different files, but I eventually figured out a hack that uses a bunch of select similar layers and other wonkiness to get the layers I don't want Sharpened to be hidden. In particular I have a step that is: Hide Layer "Borders".

At this point, all the layers I want sharpened are visible. All the layers I don't want sharpened are hidden.

I merge visible. I now have one layer that I can Sharpen. I run the filter, then turn on all the hidden layers and save the image.

At least in theory.

On about 2/3rds of my files this works fine. All the files with a single layer named "Borders" work fine, and most of the files with a group called Borders this works. For some reason, on about a third of my files it never hides the Borders group. It gets merged and sharpened with the other visible layers. Frown

I've copy and pasted the group name between files and it doesn't matter. Any idea what might be making it fail part of the time and not others?

Is there a better way to select groups? Is there another way that I can hide this group? Maybe if I make it the top layer in the PSD?

Ecnassianer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough, I changed the Borders group name to "Borders --Photoshop bug" and updated the action with the new name and it works.

Actually, I changed the Borders group to profanity, but once I got it working, decided to go with "Borders --Photoshop bug" instead. :)

go figure.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you got it sorted, Ecnassianer! :)

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: