PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Batch Processing problem with Directories
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

midnightblue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Batch Processing problem with Directories Reply with quote

Hi All!

I am having a problem recording an action for Batch Resizing/Optimizing a large number of Photos.

What I want is to resize about a 1000+ photos, all optimized, but there is a catch!
they are all in separate directories(also in the hundreds!), and as I am delivering them to separate Clients, I would need to preserve the same directory structure after resizing/optimizing, IE its laid out like this:

John's Folder - 50 Photos
Jane's Folder - 120 Photos
Joe's Folder - 75 Photos
David's Folder - 50 Photos

IE: I cant choose "Save Optimized" and 'include sub directories' and then have the Action output them into a Common directory as that would obviously loose the directory structure, and i would have no way of tracking which photo belonged to whom.
(as Image names are all 'Camera' filenames, ie 13121012.jpg, so I cant use that to identify the different Photo-sets as most of the photos were taken on the same day.)

What I came up with so far was to:

Duplicate all files and the Directory structure as it is, and try to write an action that after processing would just 'Save' and Overwrite files as they are. (IE Resize/Optimize, then save/overwrite all photos and then choose 'Include all Subfolders )

Problem is I cant 'Save Optimized' and overwrite the original file! I couldn't even find a way to set 'Compression settings' for Jpg when I am using the 'SAVE' dialog(that would automatically overwrite the original files). The Jpeg Compression only pops up with 'Save As', but then again that is not useful for overwriting the same file.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

PS: I am using Photoshop CS3.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you record Save As in your action, you will get the dialogue to set the compression, and the selected compression will be recorded in the action.

midnightblue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HawkEye.

Have you tried what you just recommended me?

As if I do that it wont let me to owerwrite the same original file, it will always save it to the location I choose after that jpg dialog box.

IE: i will still loose the directory structure, which was my original problem.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnightblue wrote:
Thanks HawkEye.

Have you tried what you just recommended me?

As if I do that it wont let me to owerwrite the same original file, it will always save it to the location I choose after that jpg dialog box.

IE: i will still loose the directory structure, which was my original problem.

Yes I have many times, and just ran it again to test it. When you record your action, overwrite the original file. When you run the action select the source folder as the destination. It will overwrite the original.

Paul R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late but just finished a script that should meet all requirements as it will create the output folder structure.
The script can be downloaded from:
http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3409&sid=521ec9d764f4e295b9531885fc454f06
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: