PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Blending with background
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

ppffffpp

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Blending with background Reply with quote

Hi,

Could someone please tell me how to blend an image with the background. I have a picture of a head and I want it to become less and less transparent around the edges of the image so that eventually it's opacity is 0%, giving the effect that the head is hovering rather than having harsh edges from cutting it off of someones head!

Thanks

Proprius

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, you're ready to enter the magical land of "Layer Masking"! Layer Masking essentially allows you to adjust the opacity for different parts of an image. To do this, go to Layer->Layer Mask->Reveal All (or Hide All, but I prefer reveal all) Then, using tools like the paint brush or gradient tool, paint on your picture using colors of black and white, where black=0% opacity and white=100% opacity. Oddly enough, all the greys inbetween black and white represent other opacity values. For example, if you wanted to have a circle fade into the background, you'd select a circle gradient from white to black, and place that on the circle layer's mask. For additional help, consult the various tutorials throughout the internet on Layer Masking.

Note: I may have gotten black and white confused (white=0% and black=100%) if so, sorry)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: