PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Color Space Confusion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

mikek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Color Space Confusion Reply with quote

My print lab wants images uploaded in sRGB. I shoot my photos in RAW format. A few dumb questions from an inexperienced user:

1. What is the recommended workflow for editing and saving these images?

2. In the Edit menu, what are the differences between "Color Settings", "Assign Profile" and "Convert to Profile"?

3. Why, regardless of what settings I choose, does sRGB not show in the Image --> Mode dropdown box?

Damo77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you shoot raw, the colour space is dictated by your raw processor. If you use ACR, click the link at the bottom of the screen (it's Adobe RGB by default) and change it to sRGB. If you work in sRGB from the get-go, none of your other questions matter.

However, "Convert to profile" is the relevant one. When you open that, immediately check what it says for "Source Space". If that's sRGB already, you can just cancel. If it's Adobe RGB or something else, you need to set sRGB as the destination space, and convert.

The Colour Mode isn't the same as the Colour Space. Mode is the all-encompassing category. For example, all of those things driving around on the road are cars. That's the mode. Some cars are Toyotas, some are Chryslers, etc, etc. Those are the spaces. I hope that makes sense.

mikek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, that was easy! Thanks much for the clear and concise explanation.

thehermit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Damo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: