PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
color space workflow question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

greyhoundrick

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: color space workflow question Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Brand new here and look forward to interacting with you! Thanks in advance for helping me!

I would like to preface my question by explaining that i shoot Nikon and do use Capture NX2 as my RAW converter as opposed to ACR. With that said....

Here is my question:

I have an Epson 3880 printer and i really like it. Ive started making my own prints and ive found that the ability to tweak the images is really an advantage vs. having a lab print them for me.

I was wondering if you could help me with color space? Ive read quite a bit and seem to get conflicting positions.

Its seems as if sRGB is best for internet whereas Adobe RGB (1998) is best for prints. However, im a bit confused by all of the articles ive read.

If i want the best of both worlds would the following be a good workflow?

1. Shoot in RAW
2. Convert RAW image to a TIFF in Capture NX2 with the Adobe RGB (1998) color space (I use Capture NX2 as my RAW converter)
3. Move the file to Photoshop CS6 and fully edit
4. Print the image
5. Convert the image to the sRGB color space and save as a JPEG
6. Post to web (i.e. Flickr)

Does that sound like a good plan or would you recommend starting and ending in the sRGB color space. Ive heard that changing the color space in an image slightly denigrates it (??)

Thanks so much for your help!

best to you,

rick

Auieos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is above my pay grade but ill put in my two cents anyway...

I believe your doing it the right way. Adobe RGB is a bigger colour space than sRGB (see attachment)
You have more colours in ARGB and lose colours when changing ARGB to sRGB.
Once in sRGB mode you have lost all the extra colour space/data ARGB offers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: