PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Converting raw files from a Canon S100 into Adobe bridge CS$
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

buddingartist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Converting raw files from a Canon S100 into Adobe bridge CS$ Reply with quote

I have recently bought a Canon S100 that shoots in raw. Tried to download the raw images into Bridge CS4 but it would not recognize the file to convert to PNG. I use a MAC with O.S. 10.6.8.
Would appreciate any information or thoughts.

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. What version of Adobe RAW do you have? Have you downloaded the latest version? If you use ImagOne the same applies for any RAW processor you use.

As for converting to PNG.... first I presume you are bringing the files into Photoshop from your RAW processor? I.E. open you RAW file by double clicking on it (presume it's a CR2 file) it should open in camera RAW not in Bridge. Bridge is just a file browser not a RAW processor.

buddingartist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.
I checked and I have adobe raw version 5.7.0.213.

What I usually do is connect my camera into my computer, go into bridge, hit the camera icon (Photo Downloader) to download the images from the camera into PS4 Bridge. I then double click the DNG file and work in camera raw. The advanced option (selected) in Bridge is to convert the selected file to DNG during the download.

With the Canon S100, the jpeg images download no problem. The jpeg images I see. The raw file is just recorded as a file name for example: "IMG_002.cr2". When I double click on this icon for the picture I get a message that reads "PS could not complete your request because photoshop does not recognize this type of file"

I look forward to your advice.

jbourne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddingartist wrote:
Thank you for your reply.
I checked and I have adobe raw version 5.7.0.213.

What I usually do is connect my camera into my computer, go into bridge, hit the camera icon (Photo Downloader) to download the images from the camera into PS4 Bridge. I then double click the DNG file and work in camera raw. The advanced option (selected) in Bridge is to convert the selected file to DNG during the download.

With the Canon S100, the jpeg images download no problem. The jpeg images I see. The raw file is just recorded as a file name for example: "IMG_002.cr2". When I double click on this icon for the picture I get a message that reads "PS could not complete your request because photoshop does not recognize this type of file"

I look forward to your advice.

The S100 is quite a new camera. You are using CS4 which is two generations old. The version of Camera raw that supports the S100 is almost certainly not compatible with CS4. - Adobes little 'gotcha'.

You could use Adobes free DNG converter to convert your CR2 files to DNG, or use Canons DPP to generate a tiff.
Upgrading to CS6 is an expensive option. Lightroom might be cheaper in the long run and it integrates very well with older versions of CS.

regards
John

buddingartist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

Thanks for your comments and suggestion. I have downloaded the DNG converter.

Nestor

marikay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: s100 and .cr2 Reply with quote

I am unable to open the raw images I take with my s100. I am using elements 7.0 is that version too old as well? I feel it has opened them in the past but perhaps not- usually if I shoot raw i use my old rebel sxi so maybe I have not even tried to open the s100 files until today.
and if I update to the current elements will it still support my sxi?
I am not very advanced but since the file extension is the same in both cameras it seems odd I can open from one camera and not the other...

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: