PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Correcting dark subjects shot on a bright background
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

charlottevoice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Correcting dark subjects shot on a bright background Reply with quote

I missed on the exposure when shooting a subject in front of a window, and of course, they look very dark. Is there an easy/convenient way to accurately auto-adjust the levels to re-expose the photograph for the subject in photoshop? Up until now, I've just been guessing at the right exposure and tweaking the curves until the photo looks about right, but I'd love to see if there is a way that is more consistent which I might be missing.

Any advice?

Thanks,

D

seaco

PS Version: CC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find if you have to lighten a picture area by much then you end up with alot of noise so your better off trying to get the exposure nearer to start with!

Silk purse and sows ear come to mind...

Lee

hawkeye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera are you using? You shouldn't have to guess at exposure. Most good cameras have a meter and automatic settings that should get you very close until you learn more about exposure.

charlottevoice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, you guys are missing my point...
the photo is already taken.

the camera is of fine quality.

i was shooting an event, shooting quickly, and was doing so in aperture priority mode. it was darker than expected where i was shooting, but there was still enough daylight coming through the windows to compose stunning photographs, and i have a very fast lens on the camera that will go down to f 1.4. one of my very best shots of the subject was in front of a window. the camera DID expose the shot properly... it's just that it's exposed for the background, not the foreground. i went into photoshop, and made an adjustment using the curves feature, and now the photo looks great. BUT, my question, as stated before was raised based on the above situation...

so, i'll try and explain it again --

essentially what i want to know is, is there anyway to do "auto levels" in photoshop in post production to just spot meter ONE AREA (aka the subject), and have it make it's decisions about the new exposure/color balance based on that, and ignore the information in the background? if the background is already exposed properly and it's bright white (as if shooting at a window), and the subject is standing in front of that (they'll appear dark), photoshop won't change a thing. because technically, the photo IS exposed properly, but it's not exposed properly for the subject... it's exposed for the background.

is there anyway to tell photoshop to do its auto levels based on a smaller area than the entire photo?

hawkeye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I am aware of...

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you need a fill flash technique to light up subjects in the foreground. It's not really what you are looking to do, but it does solve the problem. With no hint of malice or smugness (genuinely) I would read the Photoshop Help Files on exposure and balance and do some background reading on the 'net.

If you want any links shout out, sure members here have some useful ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: