PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Could not use the clone stamp because of a program error
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

greglynch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Could not use the clone stamp because of a program error Reply with quote

I'm desperate here. I am using PS CS4, no Wacom tablet (never have) and I keep getting that error when I try to use the clone stamp tool. I have tried resetting just that preference, resetting all preferences, deleting the preferences file, and finally deactivating, uninstalling, and reinstalling. Still won't work.

Is there anything left to try, or am I SOL using this tool with CS4 (which would REALLY suck)?

Thanks for any help,

Greg

Last edited by greglynch on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

niftyned

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help to know what error message you are getting. You have to remember when asking for help to give all the information you can and quote error messages verbatim. "That error" doesnt really mean much to anyone but you. We are all usually happy to help out but we cant read minds.

greglynch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niftyned wrote:
It would help to know what error message you are getting. You have to remember when asking for help to give all the information you can and quote error messages verbatim. "That error" doesnt really mean much to anyone but you. We are all usually happy to help out but we cant read minds.

Sorry, Ned - I thought it was obvious that the subject of the post was the error message - verbatim. But just in case you are not the only one who can't read.... minds, that is: The error message that appears in a pop-up window when I have the clone stamp tool selected and then click anywhere on an image is:

"Could not use the clone stamp because of a program error".

All of the other information given in the original post was to indicate that I had already researched this topic on this forum and others, and the usual suggestions have already been tried without success. Again, I would be thankful for any helpful feedback. Telling me what you told me is - well, not very helpful.

niftyned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the error message , verbatim, then where did the mention of a Wacom tablet come into it???

Anyway it sounds like your layer is locked or not the current layer, from your description. Check that you are working on the selected layer and it is unlocked, I know it sounds silly but sometimes we overlook the little things through frustration.
A program error often means that you have tried to do something that the software doesnt recognise as a legitimate command, like working on a locked layer or trying to edit an area while a marquee is active or something simple like that so check all the little things first . If you cant sort it a screenshot would be helpful to see what is going on.

Zonexl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try Google with: "Could not use the clone stamp because of a program error"

niftyned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some reading and I think your problem is in your brush presets. You need to turn off shape dynamics. If you dont know how I will walk you through it. It`s a simple task.

greglynch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ned - yep, I saw that there were several threads suggesting that solution (unchecking shape dynamics) and I had done that but it didn't help.

But... get a load of this:

Zonexl - I saw your suggestion about googling the error message and I had already done that, but apparently I did not go deep enough. I did as you suggested - again- and found an old post involving this problem with CS2. Apparently this has been around for awhile. The poster has spent hours and hours on google, forums, and on the phone with Adobe. His finding was that if the error message had said "... because a source point has not been selected" instead of "...because of a program error" he would have saved all that time. His Alt key was not functioning properly. Long story short, that fixed his problem. I applied his CS2 solution to my CS4 problem and, voila! It works. I had not been using Alt-click; I had been using the clone stamp like the spot healing brush tool. Ignorant soul...

I have no clue why Adobe would leave this problem untouched since CS2. I do know that with the healing brush tool you do get the prompt to alt-click to define a source point. They should really fix this so idiots like me don't take up everyone's time.

niftyned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted. I agree that they need to address the issue of error messages displaying the correct and more detailed information. It can be so hard sometimes to sort out what the problem is let alone the cause and not just with PS but with all the Adobe software I have used. You think for the price they charge for their stuff the support would be a bit better than it is.

Zonexl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greglynch wrote:
His finding was that if the error message had said "... because a source point has not been selected" instead of "...because of a program error" he would have saved all that time. His Alt key was not functioning properly.

Yes, I saw that one too, but the strange part is that I don't get that message in CS4 11.0.1 64 bit or 32 bit. Are you not using the retail version?

niftyned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zonexl wrote:
greglynch wrote:
His finding was that if the error message had said "... because a source point has not been selected" instead of "...because of a program error" he would have saved all that time. His Alt key was not functioning properly.

Yes, I saw that one too, but the strange part is that I don't get that message in CS4 11.0.1 64 bit or 32 bit. Are you not using the retail version?

Yeah that is what threw me off at first. I have never encountered that particular message. I tried to emulate the error in CS4 and this is the EM that I got....

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.83 KB
 Viewed:  7408 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: