PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Critcism, honesty or politness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

gecko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Critcism, honesty or politness Reply with quote

i am a member of a very popular webmastering site, and there is a graphics section, i used to frequent quite often. However a kid joined maybe 16 or so. He posted some of the most pathetic graphics ever. I mean i know beginners and all that get some allowance . but he never got better after months, and months, and he basically flooded the place with images that had one or two filter effects maybe a layer style and that was it. He used t post crummy graphics and say "hey (webmaster of the sites name here) you can use these graphics if you want!" and well the thing is, there was nothing you could say that was constructive criticism, i mean when you have nothing to work with, how do you politely say "be a better deisgner cause you arent one now"
The reason i being this up, is i think that too many people would rather say nice things, than actual useful criticism.

http://thebluegecko.com

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can and should do both. Being nasty discourages people. Maybe something like... your skills don't seem to be growing at a very quick pace, maybe you should take a look at x, x and x. These will enable you to improve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

gecko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but what if a person is genuinly crappy, sometimes true constructive criticism isnt nice

White Warlock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the best solution is not say anything at all.

However, if you're really inclined to toss out your opinion, you can always tell them they need to learn quite a bit more before they can offer their services, and to direct them to some schools local to their area.

In most cases, the best way to communicate critically, is to do it in private. Public criticism is oftentimes taken as a means to belittle or insult them, which essentially causes your message to be lost in the miasma of posturing and ego-defending.

Whatever you do, remember that there are people on the other side of the crap they spew. Treat them with respect and civility whenever possible.

thehermit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find critique is a better approach than criticism. It's a fairly fine distinction but critique is honest, forthright and beneficial, it does'nt strive to hurt or offend, but it does not pander or molly coddle either.

As long as justification of points of view can be given then ctritique should always be welcome.

gecko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all sounds welland good, but modt people and sadly some admin and mods think anything less than slobbering is too negative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: