PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Crummy Text
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

cwebmedia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Crummy Text Reply with quote

Confused Yay! My first post at the Photoshop Forums!

Okay ... I'm wondering what techniques people have for text. It seems the smaller you go, the crummier it gets.

I've used small fonts for this like standard and kroge (sp?), but what if I need to use a specific font for a logo or something?

How does one get away from this? I've seen other people's work with nice crisp text so obviously it an attainable goal. :)

Thanks

beetle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can only go so small. Once you drop under 10px you really need to drop the anti-aliasing. Anything under 6px and you can't expect much. How small are you talking?

You can choose the aliasing mode for type in 6 & 7 (don't remember before that). Smooth and Sharp seemed to be the least readable for really small text in a test I just did.

JMulder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want such small fonts anyway? They wouldn't add much value to a logo on the web. Although if you want them for print I suggest working at a resolution of 300DPI or higher.

When I use really small fonts they are always sans-serif. Things such as Arial or Verdana can go quite low. Playing around with the different Anti-Aliasing modes can help in some occassions. In my opinion Arial @ 8PX and Strong Aliasing is still readable.

Sometimes increasing the space of the letters may help too as small font sizes tend to have no spacing at all.

e: spj.mulder@planet.nl
w: http://www.mm2c.com | http://jmulder.deviantart.com

cwebmedia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking it down in size to put it on an 88x31 Web button. I can't remember off hand but I do believe that it's Verdana. I tried no anti-alias but no go as it really does change the look of the logo.

I have tried all the different types of anti-aliasing but to no avail.

Ah well. I was just hoping that it was something that I was doing wrong and that there was some sort of technique that could help but I see now that's not the case.

Like I said before, when I go smaller than 12px or so, I usually use a bitmap font like hooge, kroeger (bad spelling in my previous post), and/or standard. These are fonts that I grabbed for Flash movies but they work well in Photoshop too I find.

Kinja Kahn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help if ya posted a pic or screenshot...

font test.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.52 KB
 Viewed:  2643 Time(s)

font test.JPG

beley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately drop the anti-aliasing... and use a sans-serif font as suggested above. If you're going really small, all caps may help.

2BigFeet.com - Large Size Shoes for Men and Women
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Acecool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm

6 px with the weird pixely font name, no special on it and a 1px outside border looks decent, smaller is just :-/

MoonGurl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: not sure if it works in other colors Reply with quote

K what i do with all my dark back ground graphix is make it big then once all the layers are merdged etc...
I then resize the image down to the size i need
some times they blur a little but between faux bold and the sharpening tool i useualy can make it nice and clear

however i am not sure how well that would work with the light colored back grounds and black font

also there are some fonts out there that are made to be tiny
uuuum
i saw some at one of the font repositories
lol
can't member which
sorries

moons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: