PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
CS6 GIF File size issue. PLEASE HELP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

musicsaves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: CS6 GIF File size issue. PLEASE HELP Reply with quote

For the past month I have been having a strange issue with CS6 saving GIF animations.
I'm trying to reduce an animation's file size for easier use. The problem I'm having is that whenever I reduce the image size, rather than reducing the file size that not only does the "Save for Web Use" dialogue box no longer properly estimate the file size, but the final file size is still larger than the original file. *See images below for a more clear explanation of this* I have never had this problem in the past, and am unaware of any changes I could have made to my computer that may cause this to suddenly start happening. It's only with GIF files and no others.

The browser preview also shows a discrepancy and the upsizing of the original file size. (it's easier to see the changes made on the browswer preview)

A fairly thorough Google search hasn't turned up anything concerning similar issues. I reset the Preferences file in the hopes that I had accidentally changed setting(s) without realizing it, and even completely uninstalled and reinstalled CS6 (twice). I've tried to see if there was some bug adding pixels, hidden or otherwise, to the file but as far as I can tell this is not the case. All of this resulted in no resolution of the issue., and I am unable to think of any other issues that could be causing this to attempt to fix. Any guidance or suggestions would be most appreciated.

----------
(since it will only allow me to attach 3 files the browser preview after manipulation is located here: http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/musicsaves71590/photoshop%20issue/browserpreviewafter_zps8670fdcb.jpg

Auieos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 2.183MB 256color file turns into a 1.549MB 128color file when saved?

The explanation is confusing to me

musicsaves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auieos wrote:
So the 2.183MB 256color file turns into a 1.549MB 128color file when saved?

The explanation is confusing to me

No the colors aren't the issue. What happens is that i'll start out with a 1.549MB file (any size file this happens to) and since I make my gifs for tumblr they have to be under 1MB so I go and edit the image size, in the case of the example I showed I'll trim the dimensions down from 308wx239h to 300hx233h and instead of the file size being trimmed it will jump up to 2.183MB or some other ridiculous file size.

I'm pretty sure the reason the pictures aren't helping clear any of this up is that on my "save for web" screen everything is wrong. The fact that it shows 128color or 256color is definitely wrong. I hardly ever mess with the default color of a gif. Sometimes I do but not in this case. The only thing I've edited is the image size. The Save for Web shows completely different file size and colors than the browser preview does.

I hope that cleared it up

musicsaves

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if it helps.... something I just figured out. This issue only occurs when I'm editing a .gif file. If open up a .gif file and try to edit it this happens but if I go in File> Import> video frames to layers and make the .gif from scratch it does what it's supposed to.

Auieos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly are you editing the gif files?

Make sure your not adding metadata... set the Metadata dropdown to none in the save for web options.

Mac or Windows?

musicsaves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening up the gif in photoshop and editing it that way. But it happens even if I don't add anything. All I have to do to get the file size to jump is to adjust the image size. (going to Image>Image Size)

I just tried that and even when the metadata drop down menu is set to none it still happens.

Also, Windows 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: