PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Difficulty in reducing jpg size
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

HT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Difficulty in reducing jpg size Reply with quote

I am suddenly having a problem with large file sizes. Normally when I want to share an image I use Image>Image Size in PS3, select around 1000x800 width and height and this results with a jpg around 7-800 Mb. Recently when I do this the resultant file size is multiple Gb even with much compression. I was advised to also reduce the Resolution in Document Size in the Image Size box, which I did, and it worked. I’ve never had to do this in the past, and it doesn’t seem logical to specify both pixel dimensions and Document Size Resolution.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Henry

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
doesn’t seem logical to specify both pixel dimensions and Document Size Resolution

It depends upon the output of the file really. Although the file size does seem rather large, what is the original file size and dimensions you are working to?

Welcome to the forums btw HT.

HT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was originally a 3900x2600 pixel RAW file that was 14.5 MB. After working in PS it resulted in a 23 MB jpg. That's larger than my normal file size but in the past I have always been able to get them down below 1 MB via reducing the pixel height and width dimensions the some compression.

Damo77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty in reducing jpg size Reply with quote

HT wrote:
I use Image>Image Size in PS3, select around 1000x800 width and height

This will only work if those dimensions are in pixels. If they're in cm, or in, or something, it will give you enormous files.

HT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved - finally
Turns out that the large jpgs were files that I had generated for a commercial printer which had unique printer profiles. Although I had "unchecked" the "Embed color profiles" in the "Save" command in PS3 apparently it still includes a few MB (yes!) of extra data. I had to go back convert the jpgs to sRGB and "uncheck" the Embed option. Then the file size dropped from 4MB to 700KB.
Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: