PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Digital camera question.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Digital camera question..... Reply with quote

I'm looking into either buying (for work, not for my personal use) either a Nikon D2x, or a Nikon pro slr/n. Both are digital camera's, the D2x is 12.2mp, and the pro slr/n is 14.4mp. I want to know if any one else has ever used these camera's, and if so what are your thoughts/opinions on them? Both pros and cons please, as the camera I get I'll have for a few years, and don't want to be stuck with it. I've used both models earlier versions, and am content with both, but opted to try to get some outside opinions to help me make a more informed decision. Thanks!
All gave some, some gave all.....Lest we forget that war produces veterans, wounded both mentally and physically, and it is our job to help them now, as they have already helped us all in ways we will never know, and in ways that we take for granted every day.

cbadland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I wish my employer had your budget. Do you mean the Kodak Pro SLR/n? I’m not familiar with the Nikon Pro slr/n…

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbadland wrote:
Boy, I wish my employer had your budget. Do you mean the Kodak Pro SLR/n? I’m not familiar with the Nikon Pro slr/n…

LOL!! It's been a long day and I've looked at several different types of professional digital cameras. Yes, it's the Kodak pro slr/n Blush

Here are the links for the two of them.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/cameras/proSLR/proSLRIndex.jhtml

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25215

Oh, and someone can buy me this one!

http://www.mamiya.com/cameras.asp?id=1&id2=2107

All gave some, some gave all.....Lest we forget that war produces veterans, wounded both mentally and physically, and it is our job to help them now, as they have already helped us all in ways we will never know, and in ways that we take for granted every day.

cbadland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, figured a typo. I have not used the Kodak… but I certainly would not consider that extra megapixel on a CMOS chip in your decision. (If I had Kodak stock, I would have sold it a while ago.) I have a Nikon D-100 at work and have used a friend’s Nikon D2X. Great cameras for sure.

However, Nikon, has not been playing nice with Adobe and Adobe Camera Raw software. Check to make sure your version of Photoshop and ACR can process Nikon raw (NEF) files.

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbadland wrote:
Yeah, figured a typo. I have not used the Kodak… but I certainly would not consider that extra megapixel on a CMOS chip in your decision. (If I had Kodak stock, I would have sold it a while ago.) I have a Nikon D-100 at work and have used a friend’s Nikon D2X. Great cameras for sure.

However, Nikon, has not been playing nice with Adobe and Adobe Camera Raw software. Check to make sure your version of Photoshop and ACR can process Nikon raw (NEF) files.

How do I check that? And is it updatable, or would I have to go to either CS or CS2 (i'm using 6.0.1 right now).

Good point, I haven't read anything about that in my searches in the internet. I do know that a big downfall for the Kodak cameras now are that you have to use Kodak Photodesk to import your images off your card. Furthermore, to view your images as a thumbnail, you have to use Photodesk, then you have to send your image from Photodesk to Photoshop, and can only send 1 image at a time. If you use windows explorer to try to view your image, it won't come up with a thumbnail. With the older Kodak cameras, they came with software that would allow you to import them right from Photoshop, view them as a thumbnail, then open as many at once as you wanted with photoshop. Kodak Photodesk really really sucks. It's a resource hog, and I have personally seen it use up 98% of my computers resources when it transfers an image from the card to either the computer or photoshop, rendering your computer useless for anything else. It also takes roughly 30 to 60 seconds to transfer a raw image from the camera to the hard drive-->so if I shot a job and had say 150 pictures, then I wouldn't be able to do anything else with my computer. I have run into this on my work computer, and that machine is no slouch......3.06mhz P4 w/800 fsb & 1mb cache, the mobo in it was the #1 mobo on the maret when we made it, 1 Gb ddr (what ever the fastest mem speed was at the time), dual 80 Gb hdd, whatever, it's all top of the line stuff in it, and Photodesk brings it to it's knees. With the Nikon D2X, I could use windows explorer to transfer my images which I think would be faster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: