PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Editing a 240dpi scan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Marisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Editing a 240dpi scan Reply with quote

Hello, Ive hit a bit of a road block. I used to develope my negs in a darkroom, but I dont have the time anymore. Im taking graphic design, so im fairly comfortable with photoshop, but here is my problem. Im scanning my 35mm B&W Negs, at 2400 dpi. So that when I increase size the image wont degrate. But the problem now is once the document is open in photoshop, I cant crop or edit anything. I scan them in as stripes and select one, copy and paste and move the copy over to new doc so that I can resize and what not. But it wont let me, I get the cirlce with the line thorugh it. Any help would be great, or even a better way to scan my negs. Thank you, Marisa

PS Im working on a Mac, Photoshop 7 and epson 4870 scanner.

White Warlock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image is presently a 'background.' Doubleclick on the layer titled "background" and it will allow you to turn it into a layer. Once it is a layer, you can do some real work with it.

thehermit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Warlock is right, but you should never work on the background version - Ctrl + J or drag the layer to the new layer icon.

Always preserve an untouched background layer and work on a duplicate.

White Warlock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah!

He's right, of course. Me, i always save my file as a PSD right off... but that's my style and not everyone has the harddrive space for such silliness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: