PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Fade out circle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

MrMagenta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Fade out circle? Reply with quote

How do I fade out a circle so that it starts with full opacity but the more along the circle you travel, the less opacity becomes. Preferably I would like to be able to set the end point where ever I choose, not necessarily opacity=0 exactly just before the circle starts.

I've tried feather and fade-out on a new layer, but of course it will not fade along the circle but more like a fade out across the circle.

Also, I noticed that Outer Glow doesn't fade out as well with feather, only the circle line itself with Outer Glow continuing as if the line existed. How do I fade out the Outer Glow as well? I can't do it on a new layer with fade out since I have many layers and those beneath will be influenced by the new-layer-fade-out. I would only like to manipulate the circle layer and its Outer Glow, nothing else.

Difficult?

hawkeye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I misunderstand what you want to do, the radial gradient should work.

Untitled-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.75 KB
 Viewed:  9884 Time(s)

Untitled-1.jpg

MrMagenta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: thanks, but... Reply with quote

Thanks, but I did not mean from the center to the edges. I meant a circle, not a filled one. I made it by drawing a circle and then using the stroke function.

I actually found a choice in PS where I first made a thin circle line with the help of stroke, then selected it and inversed it (so that the circle was selected) and then choose the "Fill Gradient Radial" (or similair, up at the top left in PS after having chosen gradient fill.)

The only problem is that I can't control the radial fill. Where I want to stop it for example, it goes all the way to the end.

Also, when I add Outer Glow it does not fade out as the circle itself does. How to control that?

hawkeye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not exactly 100% sure what you're trying to do but... Start the radial gradient in the middle of the circle and drag it to the edge of the circle. After you use the radial gradient on a layer mask and get it close to what you want, unlink the mask from the image (click the lock icon between the mask and layer) then you can use the move tool and transform on it. That may help to control it better.

For the layer style, with that layer highlighted in the palette click: Layer-Layer Style-Create Layer. That will put the outer glow on it's own layer, so it can be manipulated independently.

Hope this helps.

MrMagenta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing to know regarding separating effects and layer, thanx.

I have attached three pictures. The only problem now is that I would like to control it somewhat more precise and quicker, without having to "hand-adjust" it so much with feather and so on. The reason is that I plan to make a lot of these so I need a quicker and more precise method. Is that possible?

Read the pictures from down to up, they appear in the wrong order.

circle3.gif
 Description:
This is pretty much the final result I'm looking for, but it took a lot of fine-tuning like feather, eraser etc. Possible to do it more controlled and faster?
 Filesize:  16.14 KB
 Viewed:  9855 Time(s)

circle3.gif

circle2.gif
 Description:
The Outer Glow follows all the way out, I'd like to fade it out earlier separately.
 Filesize:  24.29 KB

circle2.gif

circle1.gif
 Description:
This was my first try. But now the line disappears somewhere at point 1 automatically. I would like to control where to fade out the line, for example at 2.
 Filesize:  3.92 KB

circle1.gif

Icy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just say something whole wrong, but I'm guessing.
First you make a ball, with a gradient.
Then you make another black ball or whatever colour your backround is, but make the second one a bit smaller so it can fit in there.

artd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrMagenta,

I gave this a try and attached my result. Let me know if that's what you're trying to do. I added a yellow outer glow to this one as an experiment :-) To a certain degree, I can control how much of the ring gets faded out. As far as where the starting point is, you could simply rotate the entire ring after creating it. If you're looking for something pretty fast, this one took less than a minute.

Art

GradientRing.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.89 KB
 Viewed:  9844 Time(s)

GradientRing.png

MrMagenta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've also managed to make that circle and control where to end it. Now there's only one problem left. If I use "stroke", the line becomes anti-aliased in a very good way, if I use "feather", it's not equally as good.

The difference might look small, but the "stroke" way of doing it makes the line a little more sharper.

I have two examples below. The stroke option makes the line more smoother, is there any way to do that without using stroke?

The stroke-option creates a circle which I have to fade out manually, but if I select the circle, then use a feather of 0,6 and a radial gradient fill, the circle will fade out by itself. Since it's faster to use feather I would prefer that option, but the circle isn't as good anti-aliased as when I use stroke.

Is there any other way to anti-alias without using feather?

stroke.gif
 Description:
This is the stroke option. The gradients from grey to black are more in numbers.
 Filesize:  8.88 KB
 Viewed:  9827 Time(s)

stroke.gif

feather.gif
 Description:
This with the feather option. You see that there are less gradients.
 Filesize:  14.36 KB
 Viewed:  9827 Time(s)

feather.gif

MrMagenta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

The above issue has now been solved. I'm not really sure how though, I think it's because I've chosen "anti-alias" in the fill bucket.

Thank you for your contributions.

MrMagenta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify: When I use the magic wand tool (to mark the circle I've already created with anti-aliased stroke), I make sure that anti-alias is chosen. When I then use the radial gradient filler the half circle that is created will be anti-aliased.

Done deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: