PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
File Resolution Output For TV/Video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

The Warden

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: File Resolution Output For TV/Video Reply with quote

I understand the resolution limitations of 72dpi with television display. But I'd like your opinions about this...

Would you still choose to create your graphics, titles, and logos in high resolution Photoshop files say, 240dpi or 300dpi? Do you think that the images (not pictures, but fonts and logos), even though displaying at 72dpi, still have a bit better-looking quality in the video than if you started in Photoshop with a 72dpi TV pre-set file?

From a creation point of view, it sure is nicer on the eye for me to design my logos and graphics in high resolution, than it is to see those pronounced jagged-edged fonts.

And I could be wrong, but it seems anyway, that my tests say that the higher resolution-originated files look cleaner than the 72dpi versions. Maybe I just want them to look nicer, so I believe it!

Thank you in advance for your input and advise.

Auieos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1080p on a 55" screen is around 40ppi
1080p on a 19" screen is around 116ppi
My 27" monitor is 109ppi

It depends on the screen ultimately.

Personally, if it is for anything that will remain on-screen and is not going to be printed I stick with 72ppi because I'm not as much of a pixel peeper as some people are and its just a standard that has become habitual.

A 300ppi image could look better than a 72ppi image on your TV if it can do a better job re-sampling it to it's native ppi or it has a greater ppi that 72.

The Warden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate your opinion and insight, Auieos.

Since the original posting, I've had a couple of local editors say they master their graphics at the destination dpi of 72, there logic being it is being crunched to 72 anyway, why create in a higher dpi?

However, for me, I'm going to continue at my customary 240dpi because creatively it looks better to my eye when I'm designing. If TV breaks the end look quality down by displaying in 72dpi, well then it is what it is.

thehermit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPI is a non starter, it's more likely PPI. With the rise of 4K you might want to check the expected specs.

Rarity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I just completely wrong thinking that DPI / PPI used in the settings in Photoshop and such doesn't really matter when it comes to digital graphics?
Everything is meassured in pixels and as Auieos pointed out the PPI is depended on the device it's viewed on.

And if DPI / PPI mattered in those settings, why not work in the highest possible? As again digital graphics are specified in pixels, so increasing the dpi / ppi in the setting won't increase anything as one would work on the dimensions needed (in pixels).

Please shed some light on this for me.

Auieos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I just completely wrong thinking that DPI / PPI used in the settings in Photoshop and such doesn't really matter when it comes to digital graphics?

No, you're right. It doesn't matter at all most of time if it remains digital.
1920x1080 or 1080p is always going to be the same amount of pixels no matter how many ppi you set the file at.

Read
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/02/the-myth-of-dpi/
The bit about 'Why 72 is significant' is interesting.

Rarity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Auieos"]
Quote:

Read
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/02/the-myth-of-dpi/
The bit about 'Why 72 is significant' is interesting.

^ I liked reading that bit yes, thank you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: