PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Finding average RGB or Lab color values
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

lycan999

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Finding average RGB or Lab color values Reply with quote

Is there a way to select a portion of an image and display the average RGB or Lab values of that area? Right now I can only see the values of selected individual pixels. Instead of manually adding up these values to get the average value which is quite tedious, can someone help me to a better option?

Thank you all :)

NightLord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyedropper tool --> right click will let you select the region it averages.

/NL

combiBob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a right click, select the eyedropper and change the sample size (in the upper left corner) to 3 x 3 or higher.

lycan999

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys. I really appreciate it. But I think I couldn't describe my problem properly. Let me try again.

What I tried to say is that when you put the cursor over a certain pixel in the picture, it will show respective RGB value of the pixel, right? What I want is to select an area of the photo, (made up of many individual pixels) and find the average RGB values of that area. Right now, I'm doing it manually to get this; say the area I am interested consists of 100 individual pixels, and I take RGB values of each pixel, like pixel 1, pixel 2...etc and sum them up and take average in Excel sheet. It's quite time consuming and tedious Frown

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lycan,
Have you tried making your selection, and then applying the average filter, and then taking a reading from the result?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: