PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Flying on a Broomstick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Gavandeshaq

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Flying on a Broomstick Reply with quote

I want to take a photo of me on a broomstick to layer it onto a background making me look like I'm flying it.
How should I go about taking the photo? Me kneeling on the broom would leave my knees looking odd, and me jumping would leave blur.
Using a Canon EOS 450D.

glaston1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can photograph yourself jumping without blur. It's all about knowing your camera.
Set it to shutter priority mode and try a setting of something like 1/500 of a second. Open your aperture up as wide as it will go too. And don't zoom in real close. The farther you zoom in the narrower your aperture gets.
Wider aperture values also give shallower depth of field, which will help when you want to remove the background.
Use a low ISO setting. This can be tricky because it increases noise. So you'll have to play with it and find the sweet spot.
Try using your cameras continuous shooting mode to take several photos in quick succession then choose the best one of the bunch.

If you do some tests with these settings of say, kids playing or a dog chasing a ball, you'll find the right combination and be able to take a great photo with no blur at all.

Otherwise you could try standing on something that can be easily removed from the photo. Like a stepstool or box with either a green or blue sheet/blanket/shirt over it, or a piece of foam core board in pure green or blue blocking the object you're standing on. You'd probably want to point a powerful fan in your direction to make your hair and clothes fly back also.

A purely static photo of you standing, feet flat, with hair and clothes laying still will end up looking like you took a photo with a broom between your legs and changed the background. You need motion, or the illusion of it.

Henry Catherin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without photograph this thread isn't valuable. Please help us by provide photograph for your helpful answer. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: