PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Group Blend Mode
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Vasil Velikov

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Group Blend Mode Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not sure if I have understood the effect of applying blend modes to groups and I will be very glad if someone can clarify it to me. Suppose that I have a solid background layer and a single group above it. In this group I have a single layer with a blend mode applied – let name this mode X. If I set the group blend mode to 'Pass through' I will get the same result as if there was no group. If I set the group blend mode to the same blend mode as the layer (X) I must get the same result.
That's my understanding of group blend modes. Photoshop acts this way if the blend mode X is Darken, Multiply, Normal... But if the blend mode is for example Color Burn, Linear Burn or Color Dodge the results in the two configurations are different.
Here is what I have figured out.
If the blend mode X is 'Normal'(or Darken, or Multiply, ...) here is what happens: the layers in the group are merged over an invisible layer and after that this layer is merged over the background.
If the blend mode X is 'Color Burn'(or Linear Burn, or Color Dodge, ...) the layers in the group are merged over a visible white layer and after that this layer is merged over the background.

Why? I can't understand that behaviour. And there is more – for some blend modes the layer I talked about isn't even white. Why does photoshop act this way?

hawkeye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In pass through mode, anything in a layer set "passes through" to the layers below just as if it wasn't in a set.
For instance the group contained a layer in screen mode, and the set is in pass through, the picture would look just as if there was no layer set.
If you were to chnage the group blend mode to something else, the picture would reflect that blend mode.
Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: