PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Help with replacing a blown out sky with a new sky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

dward1222

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Help with replacing a blown out sky with a new sky Reply with quote

Hi Everybody-

I need some help, I have a blown out sky and need to replace it with new sky. I have lots of "sky shoots" that I can use. My photo consists of two subjects in front of a bush and the sky behind them is blown out. They themselves are properly exposed. When I replace the sky, it always is on there closes or in there hair and I can't get it out. Do I have a difference between the photo and the sky in relation to the exposure? I';m at a loss and if anybody has some tips, I would love to hear them.

Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely- Doug

hawkeye

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the photo, it will be easier to advise you.

dward1222

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There-

Here is the photo that I need the sky replaced. Please let me know what I might be missing.

Thanks- Doug

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many methods people use, this is only one (easy). First convert the BG layer to a normal layer. Make a rough selection of the sky area, and add a layer mask to that layer. Add the new sky to a layer beneath the original. Paint with black on the layer mask to hide and white to reveal.

Tree leaves are very difficult to work with. That being the case, I selected a sky with large clouds. Using transform on the sky layer and some cloning, I tried to place the clouds where the leaves are, that way the fringing the leaves blends in, and isn't so apparent. Other leaves I removed completely (paint with black on the mask).

dward1222

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There-

Thank you so much. I have some others that need the replacement as well, so I will go give them a try, If I have any further questions, I'll post them here.

Thanks again, it looks wonderful !!!! Glad it worked for you.

Sincerely- Doug

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are more experienced with PS, the more accurate method is to use calculations to make a new channel for the mask.

dward1222

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There Hawkeye-

I gave it a try, but I was confused and it wasn't working for me. I am kind of new to photoshop and need further simple explanation. If you could re-explain in a more simpler form (layers is still quite confusing) then I might get a better picture of what I need to do in each steep. Sorry if I have confused you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks- Doug

seaco

PS Version: CC

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a go, I used COLOUR RANGE on the sky then pressed BACKSPACE to delete the sky then added the sky... I then used theCLONE TOOL and SPOT HEALING BRUSH to clean up the grass, then IMAGE/ADJUSTMENTS-COLUR BALANCE and SHADOW/HIGHLIGHTS on the couple and the DODGE TOOL to lighten the faces a little there are other little things I did during but it's hard to remember them all these are the main ones...

If we could get better resolution originals it would really help 100k just isn't enough for any kind of quality!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: