PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How did they do that? Wifi logo in smoke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Netaddict

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: How did they do that? Wifi logo in smoke Reply with quote

I was at a coffee shop yesterday and I noticed them advertising that they have a wifi hotspot. I took a picture of the ad with my phone (I apologizes for the poor quality).

How was the wifi sign/logo converted into smoke

1374297699604.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.58 KB
 Viewed:  1141 Time(s)

1374297699604.jpg

AleksiJS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With smoke brushes for example, you can find them here:

http://graphicriver.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&category=add-ons%2Fphotoshop%2Fbrushes&new_term=smoke

Rarity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be transforming some smoke stocks over the over a wifi logo (template that would be deleted) using the free transform tool and warp to recreate the curve.

Netaddict

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarity, I have thought of transforming an image of smoke into a logo, the only 'problem' I can think of is that the smoke will get compressed and look like solid gray and not smoke.

How effective will this be ( if at all);
1) select the bracket shapes in the wifi logo
2) inverse the selection
3) import the smoke image
4) apply the selection to the smoke
5) delete (all but the brackets will be deleted)

Rarity, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by a "template"?

Thank you AleksiJS for the link, I have found the below link to include free brushes
http://qbrushes.net/smoke-brushes/

Rarity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant a template as the wifi logo being there, on it's own layer just to overlay the smoke on to get somewhat the right curve / selection.

The method you described should work, but realise there's some tweaking to be done afterwards as the selection would be too uniform to make the smoke look realistic. (Could be tweaked by a layer mask or erasing some bits around the edges.)
I also feel that the image you linked has some extra 'strength' to it by the wifi logo not being perfectly shaped as the wifi logo.

I'm on holiday so I don't have immediate access to a full version of PS (got PS touch but that wouldn't suffice I guess) to test this. But what might work is making a clouds layer with 2 shades of a light grey.
Hide the layer using a totally black layermask and start painting back the areas where you want some smoke (soft brush, vary the hardness from about 0-15% and size as well per stroke).
Duplicate the layer and apply the layermask. (Hide the first one as it would be your back up copy.)
Use the liquify filter's forward warp tool on the smoke to give it just that little edge it needs to look more realistic.

PS. one of my mates brought his laptop so I might be able to try the method described above when I get back.

Netaddict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Rarity for your input.

Regarding brushes, I have downloaded a few and loaded them into PS, but I can't find them!?

Rarity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've copied them to the presets>brushes folder, right click with the brush tool, click the cogwheel and select the brushes you downloaded
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: