PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How do I achieve Shepard Fairey (OBEY) effects with photosho
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

nerve666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: How do I achieve Shepard Fairey (OBEY) effects with photosho Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to achieve the Shepard Fairey style (www.obeygiant.com) ???
Thanks!
mpearce88@aol.com

jackiemcghee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't really a Photoshop thing although you can do it in photoshop. The simplest way to practice is to find a photo you'd like to work in this style and simply trace around the various parts using the Pen/Bezier Curve tool. It's a tricky tool to get your head around at first but its by far the most powerful selection method around because it is to fine-tunable. then convert the paths to selections and fill the areas.

The hard part is identifying the areas that need to be selected and filled. Try posterising the image first to decrease the colour levels also messing with contrast (and brightness to a lesser extent) will help in showing the areas to shade.

Devo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty easy effect. Make a copy of your original image layer so that you have two. On the top layer use the stamp filter and on the bottom use the photocopy filter. Play around with the options, then make the top layer a linear burn or other "overlay" method to where you can see both. Then use color adjustment layers to colorize how you like. I like to put a little texture on after I have the color like I want it. There is an action out there called "True Vellum Sketch" or "Cartoon on Paper" look for those.

The Devo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: