PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How do I get this sunny bright kinda vintage effect?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

alexpm7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: How do I get this sunny bright kinda vintage effect? Reply with quote

I love it but I have no idea how to apply it on one of my photos. Someone help me? Angel

hawkeye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this would get you close. Curves adjustment to brighten, color adjustment layer set to color and a warming filter. Play around with opacities, etc, to get the look you want.

thehermit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with the image that you are showing us, is that most of the work is done whilst setting up the photoshoot. It is with good lighting, lenses and other photographic tomfoolery that images like this are made, rather than in a post-production enviroment. Saying that, hawkeye has a pretty convincing emulation.

navvydigital

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That image was shot with heavy backlighting. If you shoot a backlit subject while exposing for the shadow side of the subject, you'll get that effect. Then it's just a matter of applying the cros-processed effect in photoshop.

darklite

PS Version: cs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct lighting is a key issue, but when it's not available, there are other options.

I played with two images. The one to the right was given an extra blur using "blur more" to give it a vintage kodak paper look.

This might help:

Duplicate the layer, change the blending mode to "screen".
Then apply gaussian blur to taste-I used 8.0 for this pic, but going as high as 35.0 is not unheard of.

Finally, add an adjustment layer with "levels" and adjust the midtone slightly.

http://www.autumnwindstudios.com

navvydigital

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subject in the original post isn't blurred though. It's shot with a wide aperture which Photoshop can try and imitate but can't really replicate - you can use a gradient mask on a lens blur layer and mask out the subject but the image in the OP is still backlit unlike yours.

eliteflyers_com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct lighting is the main factor, but when it's not available, there are other options

pixel8or

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strong backlighting, you can see the highlight on her clothes and maybe a reflector was used in front. Might have been shot with a filter over the lens or done in post production to get that custard yellow colour.

asheebee30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Always amazed Reply with quote

This picture is a newer technique that is trendy and a lot of the older photographers are probably not familiar with it. I do this technique often. One thing thats been done to this pic for sure it that is was cross processed. Sometimes when you cross process a pic though it will be too harsh. If you are using photoshop the easiest way for you to do this would be to google 'free photoshop actions'...there are a lot of free ones on deviantart.com and download an action or action set that includes a cross process action. Save it to your desktop and then (unzip the file if nesecary by right clicking icon and clicking unzip) then open photoshop and if its a newer version you can drag and drop it into the actions section which most layout on photoshop will have it placed on the middle right side of your photoshop screen....if your lost just google how to load actions into photoshop. Also....one of the best things you can do is to buy a prime lens at about $99 (for canon i use the 50mm 1.Cool it lets in a ton of light and if you place the sun behind your subject you can easily acheive this affect. Lastly try Totally Rad Actions...you can google that...in the revenge pack they have an action that replicates a sunny day and adds the white glow....theres a way to do it in photoshop but I dont know the specific steps and if you buy and load the action from totally rad you just click a button and it will do it for you. On the pic I have showing I did nothing but make sure I had the right white balance setting on my cam...shot with the 50mm 1.8 lens I told you about. The end! Best wishes!

Ashley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: