PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How to convert shapes to outlines i can then fill?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Katerina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: How to convert shapes to outlines i can then fill? Reply with quote

Angel Noob Noob Angel Hello!
Help me fast, Phorest Angels!

This is what I have (see image). I want it as an outline I can then add a "tricolore" (red, white & blue) flag behind, & also further define the other space with another image.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've tried a few different softwares this evening, such as pixlr, & a few other ones online, before falling forward fast & pumping for Photoshop.

But now I'm exhausted & distracted! Your shortcuts would be [/u]most welcome.

Thanks,

KSJB

Marianne - Vectorised.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Marianne - Vectorised.pdf
 Filesize:  2.59 KB
 Downloaded:  219 Time(s)

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Katerina,
Open photoshop, quick select the image, right click on the image and select "refine edge", then set the smart radius to 2, shift edge to -10, press ok, right click again, select inverse, then right click again and layer via copy, then you can remove the top layer and all you are left with is in outline, which you can fill in whatever colour/pattern you like, and the same with the background :) hope that helps, there may be an easier way, but I've just trialed this and it works and only took a few seconds x

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is kind of what I ended up with, hope I understood your query correctly x

cut out shape.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.33 KB
 Viewed:  636 Time(s)

cut out shape.jpg

Katerina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi SC Designs,

Cool that you wrote back, and so quick. That was encouraging. Now I'm back to it again, and will have to learn how to 'quick select the image', lol, your first step.
But you helped set me on the right track - yes, for sure! (What you did is exactly what I'm looking for, plus or minus the 'tricolore', which I'll have to work on myself, or post here separately farther down the road.)

Thank you!

Katerina

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, if you struggle with it and if you need me to then I can send you the file of the outline so you can work on colouring and patterns yourself then I'd be happy to do so :)
x

Katerina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Well you know what would be helpful? (Since you asked... :-)): I've broken down your steps into bullet points (see below.) Now if I could only just understand what I'm trying to 'DO' at each stage, not just from a technical point of view, but how we're going to produce the desired result as a result of these steps.
I guess, as a learner, I need to know the 'why' of why I'm doing something as well, and this helps for if it turns out that I get hung up on a detail that seems important at my end (getting the silhouette outline to improve, for example, so that the upper curve of the lip gets included, for example: I'm starting from the rough pixel image I had before I had it vectorised online...)

quick select the image,

right click on the image and select "refine edge" "because this helps you do ..."

then set the smart radius to 2, shift edge to -10, press ok "again, why?"

right click again, select inverse HUH?!!!!!!!!!!!! What does this do? Inverse? Sounds 'scary'.

then right click again and layer via copy, ok... i think that's a shortcut in some of the drop downs, e.g. in "refine edge" tool. Why do I want this, again? Thanks.

then you can remove the top layer and all you are left with is in outline, I'm not there yet...

which you can fill in whatever colour/pattern you like,

and the same with the background

Original.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.38 KB
 Viewed:  623 Time(s)

Original.png

Katerina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you totally got what I'm trying to do, yes :-)

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I'll try and give you a better run through of it later on this evening when I have some time :) x

Katerina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, sounds good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: