PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How to go about setting up for laser reprints?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Olivia3310

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: How to go about setting up for laser reprints? Reply with quote

Hello everyone I am new to the boards as well as to Photoshop. I was wondering If any one could help me try to figure something out? Here is what I am trying to achieve. I would like to make laser reprints of some original canvases I have. But I would like them to look as good as possible. The digital camera I have now Is a Sony cyber shot and Is only 2 megapixels. When I take a picture and load It Into Photoshop and look under Image size It shows that the Image Is only 72dpi. I know for printing this Is crap! I want to print 11x14" glossy laser prints. This is the only thing i could think of doing. Print the picture from my Sony (regular 4x6 print) then scan it Into my computer using the highest resolution It will allow me (which Is 1200 dpi) then load that picture Into Photoshop, copy it and the open a new layer at 11" high by 14" wide at 300 dpi and paste onto this layer. I will more then likely have to expand the actual picture to fit the new layer but my question Is won't the dpi still be 1200? and If so I probably wouldn't want to print at that dpi would i?? Any help with this would be appreciated. I am all up for any other suggestions as to how to go about this as well. Please keep in mind I know Its only a 2 megapixel camera but Its all I have to work with right now, don't have any extra cash to buy another at this time. Thanks.....

watersole

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, all you have to do is understand the image size dialogue box. Also, all cameras by default upload their images at 72. This is just a default setting. However this doesn't mean the image is low resolution at all, and this is because the pixel dimensions are very large (assuming you are using a high setting on the camera).

Take a close look at the image size dialogue box with one of your newly uploaded images. Notice that it is broken up into two sections: pixel dimensions and document size.

The pixel dimensions represent your actual image data. The document size only refers to printing.

Notice the constrain proportion box and the resample box at the bottom. If you keep the constrain proportion box checked and the resample box UNchecked, the pixel dimensions should be grayed out. This is what you want.

Now, change the inch dimensions to 11x14. This will change the dpi. It should be alot higher now.

So basically your camera makes really huge images (in pixel dimensions) at 72 dpi. You need to simply uncheck the resample button and change the settings in the document size section to what you need. Thus you will not accidentally degrade your image. Remember if you have the resample button on, any changes you make will affect the image data. If you try to make the pixel dimensions bigger, Photoshop will have to "make up" pixels that weren't there, not resulting in any enhancement. If you decrease the pixel dimensions, then you will have a smaller image to print, or to email etc. Rule of thumb: it is always better to scale down than up.

Hope this makes sense. A good resource that explains this in detail is Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Studio Techniques by Ben Wilmore. It has a great section on resolution and digital cameras, as well as being a great book in general.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: