PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Large graphic design resolution issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

MattWalkerNCL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Large graphic design resolution issue Reply with quote

Hi everyone, new to forum so hope this is in the correct place!

I'm a videographer and have ended up doing some poster designs in Photoshop (CS6 - if that's of any relevance....) and have been charged with designing a simple but large billboard.

The size is to be approximately 8 feet high by 32 feet wide.

My problem is this - I'm not experienced with setting up projects for such a huge size and im concerned I will either lose quality by setting the wrong resolution or initial size (it not scaling up well) or simply not being able to save the file as a PDF as it is too large.

The printers I am using only accept hi-res PDF's.

I'm a complete noob with understanding resolution and how I can create a document that will meet 8' x 32' and not look like you've drank a bottle of rum!

Is anyone able to help me out on this?

I've been doing my A2 poster designs at 300dpi and at A2 size in document setup when i begin the project, if that indicates what a blind fool i am...

Cheers,

Matt

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eys,

With pinpointing DPI for a billboard it's quite hard. Seeing the size (like 2.5 x 10 metres if my Imperial to metric is correct) you could get away using 12 or 15 dps - personally I would still use 30-ish.

Thing is, it is quite dependent on what the viewing distance for people will be (round and about). A 2.5*10 billboard for example could still be watched at from the concert-poster distance for example.

My advise is, it does never hurt to create a proof - test on the quality. Also convey with the one who's going to print the design, they should be able to tell you what DPI they think should be good based on its size / viewing distance.

On a side note, it could be possible to design the whole poster as a vector, which should be scaleable to whatever size at whatever resolution, even in PS CS6.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: