PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Layer Styles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

mborner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Layer Styles Reply with quote

How do I create a layer style (bevel and emboss, for example) on a selected layer without affecting the layer style of underlying layers? I'm trying to figure out a way to do this without having to merge a blank layer to the layers I want untouched. My goal is to keep all layers and layer styles intact and add a layer style to only one selected layer without affecting all of the other layers' styles. I've tried locking the pixels on the selected layer but this doesn't work. I'm using PS7
Thanks.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer styles only affect the layer to which they are applied, unless you apply the style to a group in which case it would affect all the layers within the group.

mborner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkeye wrote:
Layer styles only affect the layer to which they are applied, unless you apply the style to a group in which case it would affect all the layers within the group.

Thanks, hawkeye, for the feedback. Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience. Let's say I have 2 layers on top of a background layer. Let's assume that I have a bevel/emboss layer style on the lower most layer. Now, if I add a bevel/emboss layer style to the upper most layer, the change is also acquired by the lower layer, changing the desired bevel/emboss layer style of that layer. I'm not applying layer styles to groups, and the layers are not linked, these are independent layers. I'm trying to add layer styles to individual layers independently of other layers but it's not working. Thank you for the response.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are likely seeing is the effect of Global Light.

In the effect panel under Shading: un-check Use Global Light. Then you can set the lighting individually.

mborner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkeye wrote:
What you are likely seeing is the effect of Global Light.

In the effect panel under Shading: un-check Use Global Light. Then you can set the lighting individually.

Hi hawkeye. As I sit here and play around with global light, it appears you are correct. Great tip! Thank you. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: