PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Leading on from concept design post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

BrideXIII

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Leading on from concept design post Reply with quote

Question.

Does anyone else HATE the sites they design for clients?

I dont mean not be satisfied with the work you have done, that goes without saying or you shouldn't be doing it.
But do you ever wish you could give your self full permission to go wild with the design?
or is it true that only other web designers actually appreciate what goes into web design?what can be done etc?

maybe thats why we join sites like this, to show off , not what we DO do, but what we CAN do?

WildWitchin | Template Magic | The Cauldron | Celestial Magic

Kinja Kahn

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to the point of denial of any personal contribution.

"I didnt do that crap!"

BrideXIII

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Wink precisley!!

WildWitchin | Template Magic | The Cauldron | Celestial Magic

nsr81

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply don't have the freedom to play around with a client's site. You gotta design something that they can understand, and that sells their stuff. So count me in the same line Big Grin

platinum

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do my best, and about 2/3 of the way through it I usually think "yeah this will be good Big Grin" but by the time i'm finished i'm fed up with looking at the design for so long hehe
» Platinum-Central

hooflungpoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote

First off you got the whole design game wrong. If you think you can just take someones vission and run with it then your going to be a very, very hungry individual.

So...what can you do to set yourself and your designs apart? Don't make cookie cutter sites and do not make fancy smancy sites. Find a happy medium and mix your technologies. Don't rely on photoshop! Don't rely on Dreamweaver. Use tables and CSS together...not separate...so your coding for the future but not leaving users behind too far.

Don't be so Graphixy! Meaning don't take your creations too seriously, as a French Chef would. They tend to look good but have no substance or vice versa.

Use Colors that apeal to the eye and don't detreact from the content. One thing I have seen here is that you guys take your creativity way too seriously. I own my own design company and have totally different clientel, major college sports club to church ministries. All my sites use the same technology yet have their own look and feel. This is because to make a good design you must get to know the clients business and vission.

Its not about us until we get paid!

HOOFLUNGPOO

jackiemcghee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I don't agree. If you are going to be creative, your are inevitably going to become emotionally attached to the things you create. Taking something seriously or treating it with a lighter touch are things to be decided on contextually. To generalise is to is to highlight the mediocre and apply it over everything with a broad brush (to mix my metaphors).

I find I can get away with quite a lot if I can justify it, and usually I can. You have to wear a lot of hats as a designer though and you can only let ego carry you so far in a job you do for someone else. After that, you kind of have to subvert it in favour of what the site visitor wants/needs. Eventually you learn that in the vast majority of cases you are not creating the site for your client but for her clients. Usually the designer is the only advocate a user has and you have to remember that (and remind your client).

It goes without saying that I've created a few sites that I didn't want my name attached to after it was all done. Everyone gets that. Take the money and enjoy it.

Showing off is a valid passtime though. It helps you hone your skills, especially when you seek criticism from your peers. Showing off is where you develop your style. It just depends on whether you want to be a stylist or a designer in the long run.

(There's more money and more satisfaction in design.)

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to have you here, Jackie.

Good post.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

somebody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Use Colors that apeal to the eye and don't detreact from the content. One thing I have seen here is that you guys take your creativity way too seriously. I own my own design company and have totally different clientel, major college sports club to church ministries. All my sites use the same technology yet have their own look and feel. This is because to make a good design you must get to know the clients business and vission.

Can you show us some examples?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: