PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Lighten an area in a black and white photo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

pickenspolitics

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Lighten an area in a black and white photo Reply with quote

Photoshop is powerful, but a bit complicated to me. I know my problem is easy to solve, but I can't figure it out.

I have a black and white photo. I lighten it using Image > Adjustments > Levels. The problem is, the whites start to wash out before I can get the dark parts of the photo light enough.

I gather I can use layers and a brush to lighten the dark parts of the photo only, but I haven't seen a step by step explanation on how to do that.

Can anyone give that to me?

Alex

Locton

PS Version: CS3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all it would be easier if we could see the image, so post it. without seeing the image you can try a curves adjustment layer which would give you control over different parts of the image. saying that for a novice curves are not the easiest to learn/control.

you could also mask the area you want to work to make a selection then adjust this area only.

pickenspolitics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I added the photo to this reply

When I lighten the picture using levels, it makes the bear too white.

I think layers may have the best potential. If so, please give me a step by step way to do it.

Is there a way I can use the brush to lighten certain areas of the photo and then darken others?

Alex

Locton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will look at this later & let you know, presuming know-one beats me to it 1st.

incidentally what size is your photo you posted it is far too large it needs to be reduced to display correctly on the web, if you do not know how to do this i will post instructions.

Locton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok double click on the background layer to make it active, the select the bear & then go to select inverse so that you make the background the selection you want to work on.

to select the bear choose your preferred method i.e. lasso, pen tool or quick mask. once you have done this you can now lighten everything except the bear.

There are several other ways of making a selection but i would probably use quick mask as you have good control over the selection. to use q/m hit q to use it & paint over the bear with your brush tool make sure you are in normal mode then once you have painted all over the bear hit q again to exit q/m & make a selection, you can now adjust all but the bear using your preferred method, levels, curves, hue/saturation etc. don't forget after you have made the selection to inverse the image.

once you have done this re-post the image & lets see how you have done

hawkeye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture you posted is grayscale. I'd suggest before you do anything else, load the original picture in Photoshop in rgb color mode. Then look at the channels.

You may find the result you are looking for in one of the color channels without any additional work involved.

Photographworks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Even with the file information you have in your jpeg Reply with quote

Even with the file information you have in your jpeg it's possible to lighten it with Curves tool [ Image / Adjust / Curves ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: