PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
mesh tool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

pslane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: mesh tool Reply with quote

I'm doing a tutorial that calls for using the "mesh" tool. I've never tried the tool and when I finally found it, it is greyed out! Won't work. Can somebody tell me what must be done to get this tool active?

Thank you,
pslane

"Perfection is boring." ~pslane

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a Photoshop tutorial? The only program I've heard using that tool is Illustrator.

With my "basic-and-a-little-extra" knowledge of Illustrator I know it's used to create gradients based on points and axes you create using the mesh tool.

As to the Photoshop alternative for this, it's hard to tell. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish with it. The equivalent that will work 90% of the time is using a soft brush with the different colours on different layers and transform the layers where needed.

I must add I do think Photoshop doesn't have an equivalent as it doesn't really need one due to being bitmap rather than vector based. Because of that it doesn't rely on point based gradients and you can accomplish those by manipulating singular pixels, as where the vector would need the point related data to scale.

pslane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh, looking back at the tut, I believe it is Illustrator the writer is using.

But.....I still see in CS6 there is a mesh tool greyed out. It would be nice to know why.

Thank you.

"Perfection is boring." ~pslane

thehermit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the 3D options? New Mesh from Layer perhaps? If so your graphic card may not be compatible, or you may not have the Open GL function checked in preferences.

A screenshot of your problem will speak a thousand words.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: