PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
New / need help removing shadows
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

kegleyphotography

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: New / need help removing shadows Reply with quote

Hey I am new to photoshop and I was trying to edit a pic for a friend that has a bad shadow I know there has to be an easy way I am sure to edit the shadow out but I just cant find anything. I went to help and it said to adjust the shadows but that did not help at all.... can some one please talk me through this edit I am using photoshop elements 9.0 thanks for any input!

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible to give advice without seeing the picture.

Flemming

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain methods to erase a shadow in that picture:
- First open the photo in Photoshop.
- Select the entire shadow; use the lasso tool for the selection. Also include a small amount of area around the shadow. Copy and paste the selection to a new layer.
- You will have to have a new layer containing only the shadow. Go to "Image," "Adjustments" and "Brightness/Contrast."
- Adjust the color and the brightness according to the background color.
- Use the eraser and erase the extra area around the shadow.
- If your results are not perfect, try adjusting the hue and saturation under "Image," "Adjustments" and "Hue/Saturation."

jeffreywilson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flemming wrote:
There are certain methods to erase a shadow in that picture:
- First open the photo in Photoshop.
- Select the entire shadow; use the lasso tool for the selection. Also include a small amount of area around the shadow. Copy and paste the selection to a new layer.
- You will have to have a new layer containing only the shadow. Go to "Image," "Adjustments" and "Brightness/Contrast."
- Adjust the color and the brightness according to the background color.
- Use the eraser and erase the extra area around the shadow.
- If your results are not perfect, try adjusting the hue and saturation under "Image," "Adjustments" and "Hue/Saturation."

That's it. I also had the same problem but now I know the solution lies in the hue and saturation. I was doing it the wrong way back then.

thehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally these problems occur when photographing flesh, as a rule removing shadows from anything other than human or architectural is more unusual. Having said all that, I guess the OP is attempting to remove shadows from the face.

'Fill flash' is the retouch method I would recommend There are loads of tutorials out there, I won't select one, but be aware there are many others out there that do the same job, you may, without irony want to do a Google search, as there are other tutorials including videos, but you will only 'get it' right when you choose the right tutorial. Thereon in you will be able to adapt it to your workflow.

And as always, if not so already. Welcome to the forum!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: