PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
New PC running Win7 64 & CS4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Elmer B. Fudd

PS Version: CS4 Extended

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: New PC running Win7 64 & CS4 Reply with quote

Hi There

I'm about to take delivery of a new PC with windows 7 x64 installed. The PC was chosen on cost as the main priority, as I am neither a member of parliament or a banker so the public purse was not available as an option for me to dip my fingers in.

Now I love my Photoshop CS4, in an inanimate sort of way. However on my current WinXP set up on an ancient "kept alive by the skin of its teeth" Packard Bell PC (Model unknown, has a tun dish (!!) at the top for adding water, a drawer at the bottom for loading the coal under the boiler and a pedal sticking out the side which looks remarkably like a set of bellows !!) I've never had the joys of the "Rotate" function or the chance to try my arm at "3D".

Hopefully the new PC will address these issues, but a little bit of advice would be gratefully appreciated.

The (rather basic) custom built spec list includes:-

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Intel Dual-Core E5300 2.6Ghz = 5.2Ghz Total
2GB DDR2 800Mhz Memory
320GB Hard Drive 16Mb Cache
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Ports Internal: 1x PCI-E, 2x PCI, 4x SATA, 1x IDE

I'm thinking... Would I benefit from adding a separate "video/graphics card" (numpty question alert), If I did. would I plug my monitor into that? (numpty question alert over). If I would benefit, what should I be looking at bearing in mind that I've now joined the ranks of the great unemployed and money is tight/non-existent/marry a merry old widow/only a bank job away ?

Changing systems feels a bit like being told I can fly a plane because I have a driving licence, mainly because I've been with WinXP since Jesus left Kilmarnock. I feel fun days ahead !!

Anyhows, any info regarding CS4 with 64-bit and above system greatly appreciated.

Regards Elmer B. Fudd

thehermit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Photoshop, your onboard graphic card will be fine. What really matters to Photoshop is RAM, more the better.

If you want to do 3D work or gaming, then a better graphic card would be desirable. Don't sweat it you will be fine with that setup.

And as for numpty Q. Yes, monitor fits into new GFX card.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: