PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Newbie Question: Splitting an Image into multiple layers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

drworm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Newbie Question: Splitting an Image into multiple layers Reply with quote

Is it possible to split a (single) JPG image into multiple layers? Here's the photo I'm talking about:
( edit: Umm, where's the image? Link: http://alloscomp.sytes.net/eric/ballgame/Casey-Small.jpg )
I would like to split it into three layers: the background (plate, dirt, etc), the players (Ump, Catcher, Casey), and the backstop. In theory, couldn't you do that with masks? Is there an easier way (I'm no great shakes at drawing)? The main reason I'm trying to do this is that I want to put my father under the backstop, but in front of the players and background, so that he can be standing next to Casey and pointing at him.

Thanks,
DrWorm
http://alloscomp.com

Sk3TcH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm well the players wouldn't pose too much of a problem but that backstop... because that mesh is so fine and light I think would be quite difficult to seperate from the rest of the image, in fact I think it would be easier to remove it alltogether although that would still be a task

BryanDowning

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's impossible to remove that net. Sk3Tch is right it's way too fine. You could just try putting your dad on top of the net, and coloring another net on top of your dad.

If you look closely at the umpire, you can't see the net behind him in the parts where he's wearing black. So just throw your dad in there, and see what it looks like. If it looks totally fake, then make a new layer on top of your dad and extrapolate the net lines across your dad. If your makeshift net lines turn out to be too noticeable, adjust the opacity of the layer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

thehermit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The net is probably the least of the worry, judicious cloning and healing and a bit of float and move would work wonders on the net mesh.

It's probably about 1hrs work to do what you want. My only concern is the size of the photo and then the output resolution you require.

drworm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a problem. The photo that I posted was a smaller version (about 40%) of the one captured by my digital camera. What's the difference between cloning and healing? Also, what's float and move? I might just put my dad in something dark and then just add him in. However, if there is a way to get rid of the net, I'm all for it. When I clone pictures, though, it's always very easy to see that it was cloned. What's the proper way to clone something?

Thanks a lot,
DrWorm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: