PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
OpenGL technical issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

daufoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: OpenGL technical issues Reply with quote

Hello,

I just figured out how to enable OpenGL in Photoshop CS4. When i try to select an area with the marquee tool, the screen goes black. Also, when I try to change brush size by holding down Alt + mouse right click then drag, the circle that shows the size does not appear anymore. Whether OpenGL is enabled or disabled, when I try to change brush hardness by holding down Shift+ Alt + mouse right click then drag, the hardness preview does not appear. The options in cursors shows a section for brush preview and has a color selected (red). There are no other options (i.e. turning it on or off). I also tried to change the settings on my video card but it did not help. Anyone know how to fix this?

I had to force Photoshop to recognize OpenGL with registry patches that I downloaded from your website. I have an onboard video card that supports OpenGL 2.0, Intel G35 with 385MB video memory, and I have 2GB RAM. I am using Windows 7 Pro with DirectX 11 installed. For some reason Photoshops thinks the Graphics Media Accelerator is Intel 965/963 when it is actually Intel X3500. The zooming and panning seems a little choppy but much improved without OpenGL. I'm guessing upgrading to a video card with its own GPU would result in the biggest improvement but falling short of that, would adding more RAM help? Is there anything else that might help, such as increasing the page file (currently fixed at 2GB)?

Zonexl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the latest video driver? That solves most issues with OpenGL.

daufoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zonexl wrote:
Did you try the latest video driver? That solves most issues with OpenGL.

Yes, I did. Confused

Zonexl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: OpenGL technical issues Reply with quote

If you disabled OpenGL and you have indeed the latest driver, then I don't see any other solution. Btw, where did you look for the latest driver? Don't get it from the site of the manufacturer that made the computer, get it from the site that made the graphics chip.

daufoi wrote:
Also, when I try to change brush size by holding down Alt + mouse right click then drag, the circle that shows the size does not appear anymore.

That's a well known driver issue.

daufoi wrote:
For some reason Photoshops thinks the Graphics Media Accelerator is Intel 965/963 when it is actually Intel X3500.

Another indication of a driver issue.

daufoi wrote:
would adding more RAM help? Is there anything else that might help, such as increasing the page file (currently fixed at 2GB)?

I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that none of this will help to solve this issue. The focus should be on the driver. Be aware though, driver support for onboard graphics is relatively poor.

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bit of light reading, it mentions a bit about your chip-set

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA.

daufoi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
Here's a bit of light reading, it mentions a bit about your chip-set

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA.

This link doesn't lead to an article.

Thanks for all the info. I did download drivers from Intel (maker of the chipset).

thehermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, link was working. Glad you got it sorted though.

daufoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
Sorry, link was working. Glad you got it sorted though.

I didn't get it sorted. I downloaded the latest drivers from Intel and still not working. I did find the article by searching the full name (no GMA acronym). I've seen that article and doesn't contain any Photoshop info. According to the Intel website, though, G35 uses X3500 GMA and supports OpenGL 2.0. I don't understand why it's not working.

thehermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eek! sorry to hear that. Your renewal of plea though will surely get the PS Hamsters here going though!

As an aside, did you install Photoshop CS4 with the drivers you already had or change drivers after install?

daufoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
Eek! sorry to hear that. Your renewal of plea though will surely get the PS Hamsters here going though!

As an aside, did you install Photoshop CS4 with the drivers you already had or change drivers after install?

changed drivers after install
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: