PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Photorealistic Lightsabers: the Way They SHOULD be Done!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Datameister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the point of contact looks nice. You're right--the Color Dodge layer is responsible for it looking like that. Keep up the good work.

Star Wars Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you could just harness that effect and use it for ur own good, but it was not ment to be...

o and thanx

and can you harness that little effecT?

Datameister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "harness that effect"? What do you want to use it for?

Star Wars Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the effect where like the lightsabers blend, like in that last photo, i would like it if you could do that like on ur command, u know harness that effect, cuz like when you have two lightabers pushing at each other, the effect should like be there and then grow down the lightsabers and then make a flash when they get pulled away.

that was a vague discription i know.

Datameister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool, but I doubt there's a practical way to incorporate it into video. Cry

Star Wars Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the best method to do ing lightsabers and pollagonal lasso on a llightsaber that has no beam

like the general grevious, i think he is digital so he didnt have poles so i had to do the core without a guide line

this pic is in the other thread on the images

so like what is the best method on that?

and like when someone activates there saber, there cant be a pole there cuz it would show some of the pole when the saber is going up you know? so like what is the best method to do that?

Datameister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of Grievous (and Yoda and digital stunt doubles, for that matter), the original 3D renders had poles to stand in for sabers. I'd imagine ILM also rendered saber masks so that there wouldn't be any need for frame-by-frame rotoscoping.

Activating lightsabers can be achieved in two ways. You can do a quick shot with only the handle prop, then add in the saber effect appearing over the course of several frames. This is difficult because you have to extrapolate where the blade is based on the handle's position. OR--you can do a longer shot and paint out the pole for the first few frames. This is difficult because you have to replace the pole convincingly.

My advice: do a very quick shot of the lightsaber igniting (with no pole prop) and immediately cut to another shot with the lightsaber fully extended (with a pole). It's the easiest way, and it'll suit most purposes.

Yes, you can add in a blade with only the handle for reference. But it's hard to do well.

gringog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: heres mine Reply with quote

a bit different to yours i admit

diwwe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your tutorial, I learned a lot from here, I think I will be applied to practice

vladereign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a great tutorial I suggest you make it more detailed, we know most of us here want detailed steps... but nice :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15
Jump to: