PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Photos, quality, file size, printing & print size
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

johnharlin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Photos, quality, file size, printing & print size Reply with quote

I have several thousand photos I've taken and saved on my computer and I'd like to reduce the drive space used.

So how do you people deal with your photos?

My photos taken at 10 megapixels from a Casio fh100 camera, usually come out at between 5 and 6 megabytes in size and are in the JPG format.

When I open my photos in Photoshop and do nothing else to them but save them in the same JPG format, they come out a lot smaller in file size. Example: a photo that was 5,579 megabytes in file size taken by my camera comes out to 2,611 mbytes at maximum jpg quality in Photoshop. At high quality in Photoshop it comes out to 1,405 mbytes. I won't go to medium quality unless it's something like just information from a photo I need and don't give a damn about the photo quality. But maybe medium quality might be OK.

So, I would just like to know how people who use Photoshop feel about this for quality of prints as well as on a computer monitor. Do you people:

1. Leave the photo from a digital camera as is when you print it or

2. Do you feel it is OK and won't degrade the quality when saving the photo at maximum quality in Photoshop for printing or high quality or medium quality.

3. How do you people deal with taking a photo at 10 megapixels. These photos still come out pretty large if you go down to 300 pixels per inch. They are about 12 inches by 9 inches. So when you want a smaller photo say 6 inches by 4.5 inches, do you set this on your camera to lower megapixels to begin with or do you always reduce the size in Photoshop or do you somehow set it up on your printer to only print 6 inches by 4.5.

4. Finally, if it is OK to save your photos in Photoshop at maximum or high quality, is there a way that you can have Photoshop or some other program do this automatically so you don't have to sit there for hours on end doing thousands of photo conversions manually?

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why the file shrinks so much in size. My best guess would be a change in bit depth but again that's just a guess.

It is best to keep the original files that come out of the camera, specially with JPGs. If you want to come back and edit them keep them as a PSD file. Even better would be to shoot in RAW, which should be possible with your camera. I wouldn't save in JPG format unless it's for web or digital devices and deliver any prints either in PSD or PDF format, and when I save for JPG I'm 99% curtain I won't make any more edits.

Personally I always work on the highest resolution possible and thus prefer any source images to be as high res as possible as well. If an image needs to be shrunk down, I make sure to have a copy of the high res saved and shrink the image after all edits are done. Preferably I change the resolution to achieve the size so I actually keep the pixels. I'm not sure how this pans out on printers as I always outsource my prints.

I'm not really sure what you mean with your 4th point, as to me it seems like going from JPEG to JPEG via Photoshop, without any actual editing?

Grtz,

johnharlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Yeah, I noticed that photos from my camera taken at 10 megapixels come out in Photoshop to 50 inches in height and 72 dots per inch. So when I reduce size by resampling to 300 dots per inch, it comes out at 12 by 9 in. If I go smaller than 12 by 9 I would keep the 300 dots per inch and just reduce height. In your method, the 300 dpi would go up. I don't know if that is necessary or not.

I always used to think about reducing size first before the editing because I thought that reducing height/width size after editing would somehow affect the quality of the photo so that you would have to re-edit the photo again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: