PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Photoshop default zoom has changed
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

leesaenz

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Photoshop default zoom has changed Reply with quote

Ok, I am encountering a strange issue that I cannot find any information about anywhere. The issue is that Photoshop CS5 has started opening my images at 0.4% zoom. Very tiny. It opens every single image this way and just started doing it one day.

I have tried searching the web for a solution to this problem but everyone says that there is no option to set default zoom. Well, somehow mine got set to 0.4%, so it must be possible to change it back.

Anyone have any ideas? This is a very frustrating issue.

renata

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe somebody has come across this, I'm curious to know what caused it. A couple of ideas:
- have you tried resetting the zoom tool? (Select zoom, click the little dropdown at the top next to the picture of the zoom, then click the little triangle on the right for somre resetting options).

- You can reset all your photoshop preferences. When I was working through the Adobe CS5 Classroom in a Book, they asked you reset to default preferences at the start of each new chapter. Their instructions are that while starting Photoshop, you immediately hold down:
ctrl+alt+shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS).

I did do this myself when working through the book (I didn't really have any important settings to lose). For me, I found that I had to try starting photoshop lots of times before the key sequence was detected. Perhaps it's because my new-beaut, fast computer had photoshop started in the blink of an eye, before the key sequence could be detected? But once it detects the key sequence, it prompts you to confirm that you want to delete the Photoshop Settings file. In this case, you click 'yes''.

Anyway, that's another option to try.

Maybe somebody else will have a better option.

leesaenz

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I have no idea what caused it. I thought I hit a key by accident, but I don't know.

I will try these suggestions and reply back to let you know if it worked or not. Thanks a lot!

leesaenz

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I didn't find a fix for the issue, but I did find out what causes it to happen (for me anyways).

I did exactly like you said and tried resetting the preferences. It opens them fine now, but I don't think that fixed it. The problem occurs whenever the photoshop workspace (the grey empty area behind documents) is smaller in area than the file you are opening.

For example, if I have my photoshop workspace area really small (so that I'm working on documents outside of the "photoshop area"; where I can see my desktop) then the windows you open will be really really tiny and zoomed out by default. However, the bigger you make the photoshop workspace, the bigger your files are zoomed in when you open them.

I am guessing this is a windows only issue since on my mac, there is no grey background of a photoshop workspace area, it is simply transparent by default.

Get what I'm saying or am I too confusing? :) Has anyone else noticed this?

renata

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused, but that's normal for me! If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Perhaps others will have better answers.

JAMESHALL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your discovery is confirmed. I too had the same problem, and when I Googled it, I went to this forum and saw your comments, so I joined just so I could give you confirmation of what you experienced. I open photos in CS-6 all the time, and all of a sudden (and after I had played with the size of the gray window beneath the tool bar, my images all started coming up as teenie-tiny little boxes, and I had no idea what was causing it until I read your post. Don't know about a Windows version, but on Mac it definitely does happen when you shrink that gray screen below the tool bar. I have no idea why it is there since nothing ever appears on it! It just "IS". Adobe and Mac don't seem to always "gel". Once I had a problem in PS in which my cursor sizes were all screwed up and not accurate, and I found out that the options for the visually handicapped in the Mac Preferences (Accessibility) were the problem. You cannot set the Mac accessibility options to other than normal and have normal cursor sizes in photoshop (Try it. You'll hate it!) Well, two's a crowd, javascript:emoticon('Confused')
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: