PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
[PF FT] Photoshop Fonts Only!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: [PF FT] Photoshop Fonts Only! Reply with quote

Having a large collection of fonts is great, but did you know it slows your operating system down? That's right, every time you load a new font into the font directory your operating system load-time slows down just a little bit more. By the time you've got hundreds, or even thousands of fonts available, you'll really start to notice the difference.

So, here's the tip. Did you know that loading them into your fonts directory and making them available to all software on your system is sometimes unnecessary? There's actually a way of adding fonts into the Adobe font directory, making them available only to Adobe products on your computer. This means that they'll no longer load when you boot your computer, only when you open an Adobe product like Photoshop or Illustrator.

To take advantage of this tip you'll need to locate Adobe's font directory. On my reckoning, here's where you should find it:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts (PC)
System Folder\Application Support\Adobe\Fonts folder (Mac)

Simply copy the font from its destination to these folders and hey presto! Restart Photoshop and you're away. Remember though, if you decide to take this route, the fonts will ONLY be available inside Adobe products, and not in Word, Excel, Paint Shop Pro, etc.

I'm sure there's more to learn on this subject, so feel free to post any further suggestions!

In the meantime, thanks for reading, and I hope you learned something new.

Bonanime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, never knew that.. So thats why...

Man. Could you please list the font names Windows need. I mean ... You know...

The one with the windows..

Im gonna cut my fonts.. I got thousands LOL..

I hope you understand my english.. My ENGLISHness sucks.. Sorry.

Please give time.. Thanks! <33

-Bonanime :3

Matt
VIP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bonanime,

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you found the tip helpful. Also, I must say that your English is excellent so don't worry about that.

If you're looking to cut fonts there's a couple of ways to go. You can strip things back to the operating system default (so you retain the fonts that were on your system when you first installed it) or you can get rid of everything but the essential fonts that Microsoft recommend you have.

Here's a search option to find out what fonts are installed along with a given product, just select your OS and click search-

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.aspx

And here's an article explaining some further information regarding cutting a font library right down to the essentials, it also gives you the fonts you shouldn't remove-

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/fontoverload_3.htm

Hope that helps!

Sublimity

PS Version: Master Collection CS3/CS4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Matt!

For everyone who is interested in keeping a large font collection, I recommend a font management program like CFont or Extensis Suitcase for Mac or Windows. Especially when working with different clients or organizing fonts for different projects, its a great way to categorize fonts and reduce boot time.

Bonanime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks matt.

Is CFont or Extensis Suitcase

helpful?

Who recommends this?

Anyways THANKS Matt.

I got my PC working fast Big Grin

<3

-Bonanime :3

Matt
VIP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems, I'm glad it's proven helpful.

Just for the record, I completely agree with Sublimity about using a designated font manager, although I have to say I've never used either of those applications!

Just had a quick look for them using Google, they both look good. Cfont is free for windows so I may give that a go someday soon- just to see what I'm missing out on!

iDad

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't find the folder i need it's called something different on a mac..... figures!

wizzkiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip I didn't knew this! I have a 1000+ font package didn't include all the fonts due the size and some aren't usefull. But still use a lot and it makes the loading process slow hopefully that is fixed now!

Matt
VIP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wizzkiddo,

Glad you liked the tip, it may take Photoshop several additional seconds to load but you're operating system will remain fresh and fast.

purplefirefly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: [PF FT] Photoshop Fonts Only! Reply with quote

mattyboy777 wrote:

To take advantage of this tip you'll need to locate Adobe's font directory. On my reckoning, here's where you should find it:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts (PC)
System Folder\Application Support\Adobe\Fonts folder (Mac)

Simply copy the font from its destination to these folders and hey presto! Restart Photoshop and you're away. Remember though, if you decide to take this route, the fonts will ONLY be available inside Adobe products, and not in Word, Excel, Paint Shop Pro, etc.

Where is this folder for CS4, as there is no font folder under Common Files\Adobe that I can see.
Also, I've added a TTF to my windows Font folder, restarted CS4 but it's not showing up. Is there something I am missing? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: