PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Photoshop psd files 32 bit and 24 bit (8 per channel)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Elmer B. Fudd

PS Version: CS4 Extended

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Photoshop psd files 32 bit and 24 bit (8 per channel) Reply with quote

This one has got me slightly (only slightly? Brow !) confused.

I have a collection of multi-layered psd files which contain on average 10 saved layer comps used for creating system icons. In total there are 66 files, looking at their thumbnails in Windows 7 the other day I noticed that some had a "white" or blank background (not included in any of the images) but 31 of the thumbnails have a chequered background (aka the Photoshop CS4 screen). On trying to find out why I discovered that the white/blank background are 24bit psd images/files (8bit per channel). Whereas the ones with the chequerboard pattern are 32bit psd images/files (8bit per channel).

Question is, how the heck did I manage this ? I've not yet been able to recreate a 32bit (8 per channel) psd file. None of the 32bit psd files has a visible alpha channel in the channels column, but I wouldn't expect one as they are multi layered comps with slight variations.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

By the way system is 64 bit so I'm jumping from 32 bit to 64 bit Photoshop totally randomly, the only time I notice is when I try to use one of my older plug-ins, and there they are. Gone !! (Must be in 64 bit then, mutter mutter!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: