PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
FADE A PICTURE INTO TRANSPARENCY, W/O USING A COLOR GRADIENT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

RAYNOTICX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: FADE A PICTURE INTO TRANSPARENCY, W/O USING A COLOR GRADIENT Reply with quote

Hello All,
I am new here and have a puzzling question....i want to be able to fade a picture layer into a transparency, without having to use black or white as a background, because that makes the picture look whitewashed...

If you know what i mean, give me a holler...i presume the answer is going to have something to do with clipping masks or paths or something.....thanks in advance........

nsr81

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save you faded pic as PNG-24 with Transparency in "Save For web" dialog box.

This will give you trouble in IE, but there is a work around to use PNG's Alpha Transparency in IE.

Here is how: http://www.nyt-design.com/misc/png.html

RAYNOTICX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I will give that a shot.....i have been stressing over this for a long time now...i'll holla at ya if i can get it to work!

beetle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsr81, I think he's talking about applying this effect in photoshop, not an image saved for the web.

yes, RAYNOTIX, you will need a layer mask. They are easy to work with. Select your later and choose Layer >> Add Layer Mask >> Reveal All or click the "Add Layer Mask" button on the layers palette (it looks like a grey button w/a white circle)

Make sure you have the mask selected by clicking on the mask thumbnail in the layer palette.

Now, selecte the gradient tool and make sure it goes from black-to-white or black-to-transparent. Draw your gradient onto the canvas and VOILA!

RAYNOTICX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: THANKS MUCHLY Reply with quote

Beetle, i havent trieds that yet, but it REALLY sounds like the answer i was looking for....Nsr81, the tip you gave me will help with a nother project i've been working on...so thanks still.....

Do either of you subscribe to ArtsSpecial...the graphic design magazine....it's really helpful with advanced tips...they also supply a disc with tutorials and free trials......you may wan to check it out...heres the site
www.computerarts.co.uk

JMulder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYNOTICX - I am not subscribed to it, although I would like to. Not for the tips as tips don't help a lot, understanding the tools will enable you to come up with combinations for certain effects.

e: spj.mulder@planet.nl
w: http://www.mm2c.com | http://jmulder.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: