PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
saving actions on PC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

NMFlash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: saving actions on PC Reply with quote

I have used Photoshop on Macs for years, but now have a PC. I have created a slew of actions that I have sucessfully saved. Now I want to take those actions to another computer. Where (on a PC) to I find the actions preference file that has my new actions on it?

I know hwere to look on a Mac, but I can't find the stupid thing ANYWHERE on my PC. :P

Thanks in advance,
Phil

witam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really depends on where you saved them. If you search for files using this string: *.atn all you actions will be displayed.

http://members.chello.be/wotsa
http://www.shadowness.com/witam

NMFlash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Witam. I did a search and I came with a half dozen files in a folder located in- Cdrive>Programfiles>Adobe>Photoshop 6.0>Presets>Photoshop Actions. Which is the ONLY thing I had found before-I guess that is all it can be. It is just totaly different on a Mac.

All I can do is take that Photoshop Actions folder to another computer and tyr it out.

Thanks a bunch for the help. I am taking a class and a part of my grade depends on it.

Phil

swanseamale47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont have to put the actions in any special file on a pc (dont know about macs) when you want to load the action it will give you a browser box, just brows the where you put the actions.
You say you made them on one computer and want to use them on another? have you transfered the actions, or are the 2 computers linked? Wayne

NMFlash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our project was to set up a bunch of specific actions, and bring them in for our teacher to check & grade. I have done the whole assignment at home and I want to be sure I take the right thing with me to school. I did a simple test this morning: I took the "Photoshop Actions" folder OUT of the presets folder and put it on my desktop, THEN I started Photoshop (thinking Photoshop wouldn't see it and give me the default actions, and that folder would be the one I would use). But when I started Photoshop, all my actions were there, just as before, even though my Actions folder wasn't in the Adobe>photoshop>Presets folder.

It's due in a few hours, so I guess I'll just start praying now...

Thanks for the help though.

witam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did save the ones you made right? When you have they will be saved as an atn-file and as you said you have them all in that folder.

http://members.chello.be/wotsa
http://www.shadowness.com/witam

swanseamale47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, now I understand! #
Open PS (after you put your actions back in) then open your action palette if it's not allready open. click on the action you want (do them one at a time if theres more than one) so it's highlighted, then at the top right of the palette is the little arrow in the circle click that to get the drop down menu, from that pick save action, then a browser box will open, I suggest you save to desktop and save as the default .atn. This will save your action to the desktop, just write to cd or whatever then
When you have finished put all your actions in a folder somewhere you can find and keep for use, they dont have to be put into a special folder, you can load them from anywhere (as long as you know where they are)
Hope that helps Wayne

actions copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.19 KB
 Viewed:  1915 Time(s)

actions copy.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: