PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Cutting out Difficult images
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

holmes

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Cutting out Difficult images Reply with quote

I am wondering if anyone would like to share their tips on cutting out difficult images. I know this tends to be very time consuming for me, and as a begginner to PS I have only found that there is always some neat trick for every tool.

willmoore

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a pretty broad question holmes. There's lots of things to do but most of it depends on what the image is. Here's two things that helped me back yonder:

The wand and fill tools have a little button up top called 'contiguous'. Jesus, when I realized that was there I about peed myself. play with it.

Magic lasso sorta sucks unless the forground is really different. The lasso works just fine. Remember that after you've done a pass, you can add and subtract from your selection with the Shift and Alt keys so you can get more detailed as you go.

Ok. three things: The more OG 'photoshopy' way to go about this is to create a duplicate of the layer. You're only going to use this layer to make your selection. Adjust the life outta the duplicate layer with levels or curves or mojo until you see something that easier to make a selection from than your original image. make the selection, hide the new layer, select the old layer and blammo.

Add coffee and/or cannibus.

will

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pen tool and masks are the way to go, they are editible, you could even use a brush to define your mask. Look into the quick mask function of PS (Q key) also.

Making selections always really depends on the image as willmoore alludes to.

qubert

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used Alpha Channels and the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop for "Star Wars - ROTS" to make the cuts outs out of the people and machines to be used for the matts for later on to be placed on a stactic background. This works great on Wookie and human hair - gets every little hair in. YOU have to know the proceedure in order to REALLY master it though.

willmoore

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qubert wrote:
They used Alpha Channels and the dodge and burn tools .............. YOU have to know the proceedure in order to REALLY master it though.

that sounds interesting. you gonna share?

And agreed hermit, mask mask mask.

Juicebox

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PS CS and it's background eraser tool has a variety of settings that
can help eliminate the backgroungd from a foreground object...then it floats the cut out to it's own layer (I think). Hope this helps!

Lawrence

Shadow™

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, alot of diffrent techniques to cutting out images, mine might not be the most effective but it works for me.

Grab the Polygon Lasso tool and set it to a 25 pixel feather, then start cutting around the image you want, it doesnt have to be perfect, then after your done it will close in on the image more and round off, then press Ctrl+C, then paste it into the image you want.

I do this only wen I want to blend an image into a signature or something, I dont know if this is what you were trying to do, but I hope I helped in some way.

teddc

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qubert wrote:
They used Alpha Channels and the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop for "Star Wars - ROTS" to make the cuts outs out of the people and machines to be used for the matts for later on to be placed on a stactic background. This works great on Wookie and human hair - gets every little hair in. YOU have to know the proceedure in order to REALLY master it though.

I have just been playing around with technique and though I've never used it before came up with is. I didn't spend a of time or effort trying to get it perfect just experimenting with the idea.

It works great

ted

hairs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.06 KB
 Viewed:  759 Time(s)

hairs.jpg

alanh

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: cut outs & plug ins Reply with quote

I know this is going to sound really lazy but I never quite get the whole cut out thing right - are there any plug ins that can help with this?

Alan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: cut outs & plug ins Reply with quote

alanh wrote:
I know this is going to sound really lazy but I never quite get the whole cut out thing right - are there any plug ins that can help with this?
Corel Knockout and Extensis Mask Pro seem to be the most popular. Personally I think they're a waste of money, unless you don't want to spend too much time on how to achieve the same (and better) results in Photoshop. :) All I'm saying is; don't expect wonders with any of these plugins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: