PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Please rate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Brooksi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Please rate Reply with quote

yet another picture waited to rated by u great designers

Kon.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.01 KB
 Viewed:  848 Time(s)

Kon.gif

Clicking cancel will just get you another one.

Ahayes04

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.o im not a great designer but i like it, i think its looks cool and the girl is hot, and the car looks nice too. The font looks cool also, good job man

Xopods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take the photo yourself? If yes, good job on that, but if not, it doesn't look like you did much work at all; the rippled text with the bevel is kind of cheesy and doesn't look like you spent much time getting it right. It isn't aligned with anything - the two halves don't even look aligned with each other.

The wave at the bottom looks really amateurish, since it was clearly just done with a linear gradient and the smudge brush. It should be done with a vector path - I can't stress enough how important the pen tool is.

The purple glow on the headlights also looks like a slipshod job; some of the gradients aren't even centred on the headlights!

Brooksi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Thanks for comments Reply with quote

The photo was taken by me lol, i agree with what u are saying i didnt spend much time making this, not my greatest work. I am shamed to admit that i dont have a clue how the pen tool works, perhaps you could help. LOL LOL
Clicking cancel will just get you another one.

Xopods

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the pen tool is hard to explain with words alone; you sort of need to be sitting next to the person to teach them how to use it.

In a nutshell: click to create vertices for the path with straight lines between them. Click-drag to create a vertex with a continuous curve through it. If you want a non-continuous curve - that is, two curved lines that come to a corner - click to create the vertex, release, then click drag to create a single handle (dragging on the same click that creates the vertex makes a double handle for a continuous curve).

Once you've got your path created, you can right click it in the Paths window to fill it or stroke it (huh, huh, hey Beavis, you said "stroke it" :-) ).

If this makes no sense, try playing around with it a bit. You'll probably hate it at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's just about the most important tool in Photoshop. You definitely need to learn it if you plan on doing any illustration - the whole Adobe Illustrator application is essentially one giant "super pen tool," plus gradient meshes if you care to use them.

Datameister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd say the Pen tool is THE overall most important tool in Photoshop, but certainly for illustrations it's very useful. Once you get the hang of it, it can save you a lot of trouble--when used properly. There's something about creating vector graphics that feels pure and lovely, whereas creating bitmap graphics feels down-to-earth and real. Both styles have their pluses.

Xopods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases, I'd agree, but I think that you have to be careful about using the smudge tool for creating graphics, as in this example. Most times, it just looks sloppy.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about the pen as a tool for illustration - if you want to do illustration, you should be working in Illustrator anyway, not Photoshop. The pen tool in Photoshop is mostly used for making selections with clean edges, particularly in isolation work.

Take this isolation I did for a stock photo site. No matter how much you love quick mask, you aren't going to isolate something this cleanly (it looks equally good at full size - 5 megapixels or so) that way. I suppose you could try it with the elliptical marquee, adding and subtracting, but because the links are on an angle, you'd have a hell of a time gettng it right on. The background was a dusty grey-brown, so trying to use the magic wand or threshold would be an exercise in frustration.

rusty_chain.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.42 KB
 Viewed:  710 Time(s)

rusty_chain.gif

Datameister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, I agree. Clipping paths are great for clean edges. Sometimes, they can look a little unnatural to me and layer masks can be a better option. For me, I mean. In the case of this particular picture, I'd probably use a clipping path.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: