PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Drawing Tablet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizmatic wrote:
stevealmighty wrote:
Tablets are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Well, almost. I love my tablet that I have at work (i use a mouse at home). I'm not even a little bit artistic, but if you are, then I'd highly recomend using a tablet. You don't look at the pen or tablet when you're using it any more than you look at the mouse or mousepad. It's all hand eye coordination, which I have none of, so if I can do it, then anyone can! Check out Wacom.com, as they are the industry leaders for tablets. I had a cheap one and ended up returning it because it sucked. Wacom tablets are pressure sensitive, and are designed to work with Photoshop. The only problem that I had with my tablet was that it kept sticking when I clicked the tablet, but I turned off "Double Click Assist", and it solved the problem. I strongly recommend the use of a tablet.

Whatr kind of stuff do you do with your tablet? I am debating on getting one.

Sorry for the delayed response to this Dizmatic. With my tablet, I do everything. I haven't used a mouse at work in years. I'm a professional digital photographer working for the government. I doctor up pictures using photoshop 6. I use the lasso tool easier with a pen tool, and all the other pens also. A few years ago, my wrists started bothering me when I was using my mouse at work. Come to find out, it was the onset of carpell tunnell (sp?) syndrome. I switched over to the Tablet and haven't had a problem since. I also do a little bit of graphic stuff too. Across the hall from me is the graphics shop, and they both use a tablet for photoshop (all they do is graphic design). I had a cheap tablet at my house for a while, and even my wife and 10 yr old son learned how to use it. Trust me, they're great! It's a wise investment, and the Wacom tablets usually come with a mouse too. The kind I have is battery-less, so the pen and the mouse are very light. The tablet is USB plug and play, but you can also get a SCSI connection, but I recommend that you go with a USB one instead.

I'd also recommend a smaller one, I have the 4"x6" one, but wouldn't go any larger than the 6"x9" one. Very comfortable, very nice. Wouldn't want to use Photoshop without it. Oh, and it is compatible with every version of Photoshop, including CS and CS2.

All gave some, some gave all.....Lest we forget that war produces veterans, wounded both mentally and physically, and it is our job to help them now, as they have already helped us all in ways we will never know, and in ways that we take for granted every day.

Jersey Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, after that, my opinion has completely changed, i get by just fine with a mouse, but it sounds like a tablet would be very useful

Free File Uploader for Everyone to use
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jersey Hacker wrote:
Wow, after that, my opinion has completely changed, i get by just fine with a mouse, but it sounds like a tablet would be very useful

They are. And, with the one that I have (other tablets will do it too), when I flip the pen over and use the opposite side, it automatically switches over to the eraser tool! Also, the pen comes with 3 different tips (called "Nibs") which give the pen 3 very distinctly different feels when you're using it, which is great becuase it gives it more of an actuall pen or pencil feel to it!

Here's a link to the tablet that I use at work. The little pad thingy on the side is shortcuts for scrolling on the internet or other documents that allow you to scroll, and within photoshop those buttons also let you zoom in and out, and are shortcuts for the following keys; ctrl; space; shift; alt. BTW--it's compatible with MAC OS too.

Also, in my earlier post, I said that I had the 4"x6" model, but it's actually the 4"x5" one. Sorry for the mistake.

This one is the Intuos, it's more expensive. The Graphire model is about half of the Intuos, and has most of the same features.

http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/4x5.cfm

All gave some, some gave all.....Lest we forget that war produces veterans, wounded both mentally and physically, and it is our job to help them now, as they have already helped us all in ways we will never know, and in ways that we take for granted every day.

Jersey Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds very good, and looks visually stunning, but its a bit too expensive for me at the moment

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this one out.

http://www.wacom.com/graphire/4x5.cfm

It's $99 from Wacom, but I'm sure that you could find it cheaper on the internet.

Dizmatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WP5540M&cpc=SCH&srm=0

I found this one for an affordable price. I think I am going to invest in one. I would like to upgrade my skills a bit and I think the tablet would help. Thanks again for the response.

Dizmatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevealmighty wrote:
Dizmatic wrote:
stevealmighty wrote:
Tablets are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Well, almost. I love my tablet that I have at work (i use a mouse at home). I'm not even a little bit artistic, but if you are, then I'd highly recomend using a tablet. You don't look at the pen or tablet when you're using it any more than you look at the mouse or mousepad. It's all hand eye coordination, which I have none of, so if I can do it, then anyone can! Check out Wacom.com, as they are the industry leaders for tablets. I had a cheap one and ended up returning it because it sucked. Wacom tablets are pressure sensitive, and are designed to work with Photoshop. The only problem that I had with my tablet was that it kept sticking when I clicked the tablet, but I turned off "Double Click Assist", and it solved the problem. I strongly recommend the use of a tablet.

Whatr kind of stuff do you do with your tablet? I am debating on getting one.

Sorry for the delayed response to this Dizmatic. With my tablet, I do everything. I haven't used a mouse at work in years. I'm a professional digital photographer working for the government. I doctor up pictures using photoshop 6. I use the lasso tool easier with a pen tool, and all the other pens also. A few years ago, my wrists started bothering me when I was using my mouse at work. Come to find out, it was the onset of carpell tunnell (sp?) syndrome. I switched over to the Tablet and haven't had a problem since. I also do a little bit of graphic stuff too. Across the hall from me is the graphics shop, and they both use a tablet for photoshop (all they do is graphic design). I had a cheap tablet at my house for a while, and even my wife and 10 yr old son learned how to use it. Trust me, they're great! It's a wise investment, and the Wacom tablets usually come with a mouse too. The kind I have is battery-less, so the pen and the mouse are very light. The tablet is USB plug and play, but you can also get a SCSI connection, but I recommend that you go with a USB one instead.

I'd also recommend a smaller one, I have the 4"x6" one, but wouldn't go any larger than the 6"x9" one. Very comfortable, very nice. Wouldn't want to use Photoshop without it. Oh, and it is compatible with every version of Photoshop, including CS and CS2.

BTW: What model tablet do your co-workers use? I would like to know what the pros prefer.

Jersey Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the members of photoshop forums helped influence your decision to buy a tablet

(thinks to self: so we do help people) lol

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: What model tablet do your co-workers use? I would like to know what the pros prefer.[/quote]

I use the Wacom INTUOS 4 inch by 5 inch tablet. The Graphics person uses the next size up, the INTUOS 6 inch by 8 inch tablet, but he said that he likes mine better becuase it's smaller. If I was going to buy one for my personal use, I'd buy the Wacom GRAPHIRE 4 inch by 5 inch one for just under $100 USD. Money well spent if you ask me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: