PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Newbie... upgrade my system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

raziael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Newbie... upgrade my system. Reply with quote

Hello all!
First time poster here. I have been looking into upgrading my computer to something that will run PS a little better. I've looked at tech sites and what not, but I thought that asking PS users their opinions might be a way to go.
I'm need to get a case (with a power supply), MB, CPU, and RAM. I have everything else I need (with the exception of a good video card, but I can use my current one for now).

The only catch is, I only have about $500 to do this with!

I work for a non-profit school for adults with disabilities. Everything that I get is usually donated stuff that others are getting rid of because they've upgraded. Anyways, thanks for taking time to read this, and TIA for any input!

peace

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more ram the merrier. I'd go for at least a gig of ram, although I've only got 512 mb, and a 1.53 ghz processor and it runs PS fine. Don't sweat having a top of the line graphics card, as the graphics card renders 3D, and photoshop is 2D. Best advice is to get the best with what money you've got.
All gave some, some gave all.....Lest we forget that war produces veterans, wounded both mentally and physically, and it is our job to help them now, as they have already helped us all in ways we will never know, and in ways that we take for granted every day.

Jersey Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was you, i would get alot of ram

I got my new setup a couple of months ago, and only got 512mb of ram, which ran anything fine, but when i bought an extra 512mb, the speed increase was amazing!

So as much ram as you can afford, and case wise, i would buy a akasa midi tower case, its very very strong, very big, i can stand on it without any damage at all, its got advanced cooloing filters etc (i have it so i would know)

CPU, i wouold go for AMD64 definetly, its the way to go, AMD are taking over intel in the CPU market, and its going to be very hard for intel to catch back up, amd is the way to go in my opinion, at least an AMD64 3000+ if i were you, and power supply wise, id go for a thermaltake at least above 500W, as its future proof, and will power anything, including all the new stuff coming out, without suffering from power shortages ect, they are arent too expensive

You may just be able to afford that for around $500, i am in the UK, in the Channel Islands, so i dont pay tax, and i use GBP so i cant really tell you if you can afford that or not, but thats what you should get, in my opinion, even if you cant afford it all now, get some of it, enough so that youll have a pc, and then gradually buy the other stuff, rather than buying old cheap stuff now, that will become out-dated quickly, and cant run the later versions of photoshop.

Hope that helped, if you dont understand anything i just said, just ask ok!

Free File Uploader for Everyone to use
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

lardcrax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antec is another good make of PSU, as good or even better than Thermaltake. Enermax is another good one. Like other users have said, the main thing that will increase PS performance is RAM. Get 1GB and you will be flying. Unless you play games or do 3D graphical work don't bother spending too much on a graphics card. Something like a MSI Radeon 9250 should be fine for PS.

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my system: working just dandy for PS, 3ds max (simple models), wings3D, dreamweaver, and a few more:

AMD athlon 2500+
1 gig RAm ( noticed a big difference when I upgraded from 512)
nvidia geforce 4 mx440 (that'd be very cheap nowdays, I'd go for something better if you want to do a lot of 3d applications. Just fine for PS)
Sony 17-ich monitor at 1280 x 1024 (excellent colour as far as I'm concerned)
80 gig HD.

I often run dreamweaver, photoshop, winamp, firefox, all together with no noticeable speed compromise. It does sem to slow down a bit if I've got 3ds max and PS open at the same time.

edit:
the reason I'm saying this is because I think you'd be able to get it all for 500 dollars. cost me closer to 600 2 years ago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: