PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Why is this happening? Color
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

raygunn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Why is this happening? Color Reply with quote

Here's my problem: I create an image in PS, it looks good. But, when I drag it onto the Explorer icon to test how it's going to look on the web, the color is incredibly washed out. Why does this change happen? Why do the colors of my images desaturate so much once they are in a browser? How can I keep this from happening? Any help or insight would be really great. Thanks.

By the way, I'm using PS 7, IE 5 and a Mac. If that makes a difference.

megaboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the filetype you saved it as. Gif, Jpeg, bmp, or PNG. Jpeg can dicolor images slightly..

raygunn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saved it as a jpeg and had major color desaturation. When I use to use PS-5 this never happened(I just recently went PS-7.) I'm just wondering if there is some type of color setting that I need to turn on (or off) to keep this from happening.
I experimented and saved the image as PNG and it looked good in the browser with little or no color loss. Is PNG just as good as a jpeg for use on the web? Will all computers recognize it? I'm pretty clueless about file types. Thanks.

megaboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to Optimize your Jpeg images. Set compression to 8 or more. Any lower and you get discoloration.

PNG is the biggest with file size (KB wise)..so it will load the slowest.

Hope that helps.

jpg.gif
 Description:
Those settings are good. Highest Quality.
 Filesize:  18.71 KB
 Viewed:  2079 Time(s)

jpg.gif

raygunn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

jackiemcghee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me more like a colour profiles issue. With PS7 (and I think 6 but its been a while) it is best to use save for web as this gives you a more accurate representation of the image using the web colour profile which does sometimes lighten and desat the image. You could do worse than spend 15 mins calibrating your monitor and make sure you are using the web colour profile in PS

raygunn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sure to check on the color profile. A calibration is a good idea as well. I'm sure my monitor could use it, being that it's four years old. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: