PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
GIMP vs. Photoshop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

M. Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: GIMP vs. Photoshop Reply with quote

I cannot afford Photoshop (or Elements) at the moment and was wondering anyone had any views as to the cons of using GIMP instead of Photoshop? Like, what are some major differences or lackings of features that I just won't get with GIMP? Can I use GIMP to make great website templates?

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help more. I downloaded the GIMP for windows not too long ago, and haven't really used it yet. You may have more luck posting this question on a GIMP forum.

A google search for GIMP yields the official website as #1 result, and the user manual contains a bit about features. In my huntings, I found the supposed biggest GIMP comunity, gimpforce.org, which has a forum.

GIMP will open PSD's, but it doesn't like the layer styles Frown
I don't know about website templates.

Datameister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Gimp is free, try it out and draw your own conclusions. If it has everything you need, great! If not, well, maybe it's time to start saving up for the greatest raster graphics program known to mankind. ;)

jdrumstik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIMP can do nearly anything that PhotoShop can which is why Novell was so surprised that PhotoShop was the most desired Proggy for Linux in their recent survey.

However there is a reason why PS was the most wanted. I'd say that GIMP can do it all, but overall, PS has an easeir interface, and may have some additionall features.

If your a student you can buy PS for like $350 at www.academicsuperstore.com
but you need student ID or a printed out scheadule.

Anyways, good luck

plbeane94

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, so far, have not noticed anything different between gimp and photoshop, except there are loads more brushes for PhotoShop than GIMP. But I would never be able to afford PhotoShop myself, because I got it free from a friend. Big Grin

lasa

PS Version: CS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give GIMP a try...I've see people do things with ol'MS Paint that would make most PS users cry...truely talented people can make amazing things from nothing...so GIMP away.
Never say never, you will be a able to afford it and lots more..maybe not today but tomorrow....

Take care,

Lasa

helcyon

PS Version: CS3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also, if u are going to actually buy it... spend an extra 100 bucks and get the whole suite. i got the suite for like 400-475... dont remember exactly.

cbadland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Academic price for whole suite is 399 USD. Only drawback is you can't upgrade individual apps in the suite, you have to udgrade whole thing. Hiss. Boo.

swanseamale47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasa, whats the interface like on Gimp? and how does it compare with Gimpshop I have heard so much about it, I gather it's a better version of Gimp?? is that right. Wayne

jdrumstik

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimpshop just rearranges the menus and renames things so it works and looks just like PhotoShop. But I think GimpShop is only complied for OSX, and you can compile it yourself for Linux, but nothing for windows yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: