PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Need help opening a Photoshop document
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

BobE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Need help opening a Photoshop document Reply with quote

Hello- I ceated a 300+psd composit with about 40 layers. I needed to resize it to an 8x10, and keep everything in proporton so I created a new psd file, then dragged each layer from the first into the 8x10 and resized each layer. My problem arose when I saved the new 8x10. Didn't flatten it or check what file name I was saving it as. Now when I try to open it (I am using CS2 in Windows XP Pro), the file is listed: Document kind- Photoshop document, Application Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows. When I double click to open I get a box saying Could not complete request because it is not the right kind of document. Anyone have any suggestions? I have a feeling I should just remake the 8x10 and make sure I flatten it and make sure I'm saving it as the right kind of document. Very time consuming. I have made this mistake once or twice before so I should have known better and have been more careful.

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, remake the document and resave it. To make things easier, link all the layers together and then move them, this way when you move one layer it will move all the layers at the same time and keep them "inline" with eachother. I believe that you can also hold down control when your dragging and dropping layers and they will automatically be centered on the canvas that you dropped them on. Linking them and moving all the layers at once instead of one at a time will be a HUGE time saver Big Wink
All gave some, some gave all.....Lest we forget that war produces veterans, wounded both mentally and physically, and it is our job to help them now, as they have already helped us all in ways we will never know, and in ways that we take for granted every day.

lasa

PS Version: CS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something..why aren't you simply saving as duplicate then resizing the whole image (file) at once all layers together? Also I can't understand if you made the file using PS then regardless of how you saved it or what you saved it as, you should be able to open it unless it somehow was currupt?

Lasa

BobE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I tried linking layers in the 18x24 and dropping them into the smaller doc (7.75x9.75). They are larger pics so the whole thing goes into the next room. I used transform-control T- then hit shift- to drag pics to smaller size. Problem there is going from 18x24 to 7.75x9.75 is not the same proportion. That's why I can't use Lasas procedure either. If I just resize and unclick constrain proportions, it just don't look good! Not correct proportions. I will just remake the smaller one and save it with more caution. Thank you both- I learned a few things- mainly to slow down and pay attention when I close and save my work. Lasa, I don't know how I ended up with that Photoshop document that will not open in PS.

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps you thought to yourself "self, i wanna flatten this and save as jpg" or tiff or whatever, but then accidentally typed in.psd. In which case you'd have a jpg with a psd extension. if you rename it to .jpg extension it'll work again. That's happened to me before.

lasa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to crop it in some way...if you want to fit 18x24 into 7.75x9.75...good luck.
Lasa

BobE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gallo-Pinto- You're my new Geru (is that the word?). I hadn't given that file any further extension when I first closed it out, just closed it as is. Well, I just retreived it from the recycle bin, just added .psd to its name and PRESTO...there it was. Many thanks. Lesson well learned.

lasa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasn't happen to me but...a very good thing to remember!

Lasa

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobE wrote:
Gallo-Pinto- You're my new Geru (is that the word?).

I'm deeply honored. And I think the word is "Guru".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: